Photo: Paul Bukovski, Union of the Albany Times
GILDRAD – One man died and another fell ill after the outbreak of Legionnaires disease in a rescue facility that was a scene of outbreaks, when he was a hotel Officers who are familiar with the matter said on Thursday
the Department of Health in Albany County confirmed on Thursday that two people were ill at the University Place, formerly the Best Western Sovereign Hotel, on 1228 Western Ave . Officials who spoke on condition of anonymity say one of the residents died on Wednesday.
Cases come seven years after the guests have negotiated legionaries after their stay at the hotel, located opposite the University in the center of the campus of Albany. The hotel has been converted into a senior home and is open in late December.
The county learned about the outbreak about a week ago and began an investigation with the State Department of Health, which controls the 200-bed facility. two cases have a common source, said county health commissioner Dr. Elizabeth Walen.
The initial assessment links the two cases to the Guildland promenade, where water samples reveal "preliminary positive results for the legionella," county officials said. The final results are expected within one week. – The facility is responsible. They are proactive in installing new shower filters and provide bottled drinking water and help with any bathing methods to make sure they do not put additional residents at risk.
Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria. People are usually exposed to it by inhaling the shower of fog, hot tub or air-conditioning system that is contaminated with Legionella bacteria. Those who have cancer, compromise the immune system, smoke or smoke and / or are over 50, are at greater risk.
The assisted dwelling informed employees, families of residents and residents of the confirmed cases on Wednesday, Walen said.
"We have taken immediate action to resolve the issue and make sure that we remain at the forefront of the safety of our residents," said Paul Bellicz, the financial director of the building, who would not confirm death. "We openly communicate with them. "
The Bellicz facility, which has 23 inhabitants, introduces water restrictions that the health department maintains, agency spokeswoman Jill Montaig said in an email, and will continue to monitor the situation closely, she said. the health department said that 1 9 people were ill with the disease from 2010 to 2012, remaining in Best Western, and six were from other countries, 13 were residents of New York
When the initial cases were confirmed, the hotel closed at the beginning of 2012, when the hot water boilers and pipes were changed, the system was washed and opened again after the samples showed that the bacteria had disappeared After 2012 there were no more cases related to the hotel but it was not known what, if any , measures have been taken after additional cases following the reopening of the hotel.
At least two people filed a lawsuit against the hotel in 2012 to look for unclaimed damage. The state of these cases is unclear.
In 2016, plans to turn the hotel into senior homes were set on Guilderland's planning board at Promenade Senior Living, a Tuxed o, a NY-based business.
Belisis said that the site of Guildland has undergone extensive reconstruction, including the installation of new boilers, pipelines and fittings.
"We are always concerned about the safety and well-being of our inhabitants," he said. "Given the steps and measures of the renovation – the extent we have taken – and also consulting people we felt there was no reason "
The region of the capital has been dealing with legionary disease epidemics before recently in the Saratoga Springs area, where the state investigation into 2016 was extended, involving 18 patients, many of whom were either stayed or visited Wesley's health center during the period when they would have infected the disease
Home workers identified five sources of water contaminated with Legionella bacteria, state researchers could not find a source of bacteria outside of Wesley, some of the patients in the investigation were not were associated with Wesley
The source of contamination can not always be found, health officials said.Legionella naturally occurs in the environment, usually in water, but is best grown in hot water such as hot tubs, cooling towers, hot and cold water tanks large plumbing systems that are not properly maintained.
In New York, including New York, between 500 and 1,000 cases of legionella are diagnosed annually. It is more likely to be identified in the summer and early autumn, but it can happen at any time of the year, state health authorities said.