- About one in three Americans say they are unhappy with President Joe Biden’s mental acuity.
- A significant majority, 61%, are at least to some extent extremely confident in Biden’s cognitive abilities.
- An Insider poll shows that Republican voters and older Americans are more likely to be dissatisfied.
- Visit the Insider Business section for more stories.
Despite questions about President Joe Biden’s mental fitness that continue throughout the 2020 campaign, most Americans say he is ready for the job, while 33 percent say they are unhappy with his mental acuity, according to a new Insider poll.
Insider surveyed a national sample of 1
The poll reveals that 78-year-old Biden has the support of 61% of Americans as to whether he is ready for the job.
The president maintains these figures, although former President Donald Trump has devoted much of his campaign to portraying Biden as senile, with Trump even going so far as to ask Biden to do a cognitive test and be tested for drugs that increase effectiveness after -Strong performance in the debate against Senator Bernie Sanders.
These attacks on Trump have been inadvertently favored by Biden, lowering expectations for his speeches and debates, but the president’s age has left room for less hyperbolic questions.
Those who completed the Insider’s SurveyMonkey Audience survey were asked, “How confident do you feel about President Biden’s mental acuity and ability to do the president’s job?
- 24% say they are “extremely confident”.
- Almost 20% say they are “very confident”.
- 17.7% say they are just “somewhat confident”.
- 10.8% said they were “not so sure”.
- 22.8% say they are “not at all sure”.
- Almost 5% said they “did not know”.
Age and party affiliation seem to have influenced people’s responses:
- 31% of respondents over the age of 60 say they are “not at all confident” in Biden’s ability to serve as president.
- Only 12% of those between the ages of 18 and 29 agree.
- Fifty percent of those who said they were likely to vote in the Republican primary or parliamentary groups in their country said they were “not at all confident” about Biden’s mental acuity, the highest of all the demographics we’ve seen.
- Nearly 70 percent of likely Democratic voters said they were either “extremely confident” or “very confident” in Biden’s knowledge and ability to do the job.
SurveyMonkey Audience surveys from a national sample balanced by age and gender census data. Respondents are encouraged to fill out questionnaires through charitable contributions. Generally speaking, the digital survey tends to distort people with internet access. SurveyMonkey Audience does not attempt to weigh its sample based on race or income. The survey data were collected from 1154 respondents on February 22, 2021 with a 3 percentage point margin of error.