U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthouse arrive for a group photo session after meeting China's Deputy Prime Minister Liu Liu in Beijing on May 1, 2019
Andy Wong | AFP | Getty Images
PASING – The US has temporarily released more than 400 types of Chinese products from tariffs imposed by the administration of President Donald Trump last year, CNBC confirmed.
This is according to three papers that will be published on Friday. Office of the US Sales Representative. The news was first reported by Politico.
Exceptions include things like Christmas tree light bulbs, plastic straws, dog straps and PCBs for a total of 437 types of products. They are part of $ 250 billion worth of Chinese goods that the US hit with tariffs last year. It was not immediately clear how much of the general tariffs were covered by the exemptions.
The exemptions stem from more than 1
,100 exclusion requests from companies and other organizations in the United States, according to the documents.
This does not seem to be an immediate change in US trade policy … It is more about the impact of the trade war on the US domestic economy than the rebate on China.
Economic Intelligence Division  The two largest economies in the world have been locked in an escalating trade dispute for more than a year, in which both parties impose tariffs on each other's goods. The release comes after a mid-level meeting of US and Chinese governments in Washington in preparation for the high-level talks expected in October.
"The recent exemptions are tacit recognition by the US of the damage caused to local interests by imposing tariffs," says Stephen Olson, an associate at the Hinrich Foundation in an email.
"But the weather is interesting," he said. "This suggests that both sides have decided that further escalations are not desirable at the moment, so they are trying to create a positive atmosphere before the October round of talks in the hope that these talks will at least prevent further deterioration." said Olson.
Document They provide for three sets of exemptions:
- One set based on September 24, 2018, applying tariffs on goods worth $ 200 billion. This exemption expires on August 7, 2020.
- Another, set up on August 23, 2018 application of tariffs on goods valued at $ 16 billion, this exemption will expire one year from the publication of the notice, at which time the following year.
- The other set of exemptions is based on tariffs on goods valued at $ 34 billion, which came into force on July 6, 2018. This exemption too
Last week, China's Treasury Department announced it would release 16 US product lines from tariffs. Subsequently, Trump said he would delay the rise in tariffs on Chinese goods worth $ 250 billion by two weeks until October 15.
The Ministry of Commerce of China, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.
"This does not seem to be an immediate change in US trade policy, as the US previously offered some sort of exemption from tariffs on qualified US goods," Nick Maro, World Trade Leader at The Economist Intelligence Unit, said in an email .
"This is more about the impact of the trade war on the US domestic economy than the rebate on China, but it can still help build some reputation before the October trade talks," he said. that protests in Hong Kong and tensions over China's Huawei still threaten any kind of agreement.
The Trump administration has blacklisted Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei, which virtually prevents US suppliers from selling to the company. ijing, in turn, threatened to announce its own "list of unreliable entities."
The Trump administration initially focused on narrowing the large US trade deficit with China, but disagreement widened to complaints from US companies for limited access to domestic Chinese market and are forced to transfer their own technology to China.
Companies in the United States and China can apply with relevant governments for a tariff exemption.
Other positions the Trump administration is exempt from tariffs include:
- A kind of paper filter for coffee brewing systems
- Dog straps and retractable dog straps
- A certain type of laminated wood floor panel
- Steel wire barbecue
- Print units for improving the graphical performance of automatic data-processing machines
- Refrigerating and heating machines for live bait and fishing supplies
- A Aluminum radiators for motor vehicles
- 19659014] M illuminated Christmas tree lighting kits
- Torches, patios, and outdoor countertops
- Drinking plastic straws
- Certain electric powered skateboards and motorcycles
- Table tops Desktop
- Pet Drinks
- Parts of Pool Vacuum Cleaners
- Electronic Scales for Continuous Weighing of Quartz, Dust and Resin on Conveyors
- Animal Feeding Machines
SEE: How do tariffs work?