President Donald Trump – now faced with the opposition on his national emergency a House Democrats declaration and a collection of state attorneys – will have to fight on Monday with a bipartisan group of 58 former national security officials who denounce the White House directive
In the 13th a pseudonymous joint statement by various diplomats, intelligence chiefs, cabinet secretaries and senior civil servants from previous administrations, former civil servants Officials said they "are aware that there is no emergency that remotely justifies Trump's call to extraordinary powers on February 15, according to a copy of the document obtained by
"The actions of the President are in contradiction with the tremendous evidence in the public register, including its own and evaluations of the administration, "said former officials.
"We live and work through national emergency situations and we support the President's authority to mobilize the executive to react quickly to real national emergency situations. But with no credible assessment of the evidence today, there is no urgent national situation that gives the President the right to use funds allocated for other purposes to build a wall on the southern border. "
Among the most prominent supporters of the statement are former state secretaries Madeleine Albright and John Kerry and former secretaries of defense Chuck Hagel and Leon Panetta
The list includes former CIA Director John Brennan, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former National Director Security Adviser Thomas Donilon, Former EU Commissioner for Customs and Border Protection Gill Kerlikovske, Former NATO Ambassador Nicholas Burns, former Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, longtime US Ambassador Ryan Crocker and Former UN Ambassadors Thomas Pickering Rice.
The statement, which was first reported by The Washington Post, will be made public and will be included in the Congress report on Monday, the day before Parliament adopts legislation to reverse Trump's urgent order. The Senate will be forced to vote on the measure within 18 days, and some of the Republicans in the Chamber have already voiced dissatisfaction with the President's decision to bypass MEPs.
The White House indicated that Trump would veto the disapproval decision if he cleared Congress and reached the president's desk.
A 16-nation coalition filed a lawsuit on February 18 to block the President's national urgent statement, calling the maneuver "grossly disregarding the basic principles of separation of powers." The Advocacy Group has also filed a lawsuit against Trump's decision and Citizens for Liability and Ethics have filed a request with the Ministry of Justice to request documents related to the legal justification for the statement. ” data-size=”promo_xsmall_rectangle”/>
Trump announced a national emergency at the southern border earlier this month after the signing of bilateral $ 1.375 billion government bills. For border guards – far less than $ 5.7 billion demanded by congressional negotiators for a wall separating the United States and Mexico.
The Emergency Statement will allow the White House to redirect $ 3.6 billion worth of military construction to Trump's campaign. promise. The administration also seeks to withdraw $ 2.5 billion from a Pentagon drug prevention program and $ 600 million from a Treasury fund from the Treasury to build or repair a 234-mile border barrier.
Former Commanders Referred to Emergency Action 59 Times