Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ A boat strung over Niagara Falls has been moving for the first time in a century

A boat strung over Niagara Falls has been moving for the first time in a century

He somehow stayed one mile from the edge of Horseshoe Falls, until this Halloween, when a storm carrying heavy wind and rain knocked him from his perch. According to park officials, he stopped about 164 feet downstream and appeared to be turning and turning sideways.

Last year, the park observed the 100th anniversary of Iron Saw's vein and the daring rescue that followed. The boat has deteriorated over the years, but the story of how it got there has not lost a single thrill.

Aug. 6, 1

918, begins normally for 51-year-old Gustav Lofberg and James Harris when they board iron for iron to perform a dredging operation about one mile from the edge of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, according to Niagara Parks.

Then the link connecting them to the tractor unit clicked. The rock began to descend downstream to the edge of the waterfall and the 167-foot drop beyond.

Thinking quickly, the two men opened the bottom of the cliff and allowed the water to flood, slowing the vessel and allowing it to settle on a clump of rocks.

They had stopped the boat. Now they just had to get off him.

The Canadian authorities and the US Coast Guard rushed to their rescue, but with over 600 feet of treacherous rapids between the coast and the coast, bringing Harris and Lofberg to safety will not be easy.

As crowds gathered to watch the mission unfold, rescuers used a salvage cannon to fire a line from shore to catch. A line of rope stretched across the rapids from power to the seaside city and by that night the authorities were ready to lift the two boatmen over the rapids using a canvas sling.

But as they sent the sling to the boat, it suddenly got stuck. The ropes were tangled but another failure in the already complex rescue.

Night fell. In the early hours of the morning, a Canadian World War I veteran named William "Red" Hill Sr. volunteered to make a treacherous trip over rapids to untangle the lines.

The rescuers lifted him up, with a spotlight pointing him in his path. Hill untied the lines and by the next morning Harris and Lofberg had been brought ashore safely.

However, the impact could not be saved. The authorities considered such a mission too dangerous, so that disgust remained clinging to the rocks. Over the course of a century, the boat has withstood continuous flow and has become part of Niagara's history. Its hull has deteriorated, but remains visible to tourists on the Canadian side of the falls for decades. In 2018, the park celebrated the 100th anniversary of the daring rescue, honoring Hill's bravery and dedicating panels that told the story.

After a brief moment of freedom on October 31, the scoop came across another part of the rapids. Park officials said they would monitor the ship for any other changes.

"He can stay there for days or leave him for years," says Jim Hill senior inheritance manager for the Niagara Parks Commission. "That's somebody I guess."

Source link