Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ US https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ A Buffalo Wild Wings worker died after being exposed to a detergent. 10 other people went to hospitals

A Buffalo Wild Wings worker died after being exposed to a detergent. 10 other people went to hospitals



A dying worker was apparently trying to get the disinfectant off the floor after a colleague who started using it was overcome by the fumes, Burlington Interim Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters.

The incident at the Burlington restaurant began around 5:30 p.m., as workers and customers – some coughing – ran out of the facility as fumes evaporated, witnesses told CNN's WCVB affiliate.
A worker who intended to clean the kitchen floor put [19659002] a disinfectant called "Super 8" – a product with sodium hypochlorite, which itself is a major component of bleach – said on the floor. Paterson. The man quickly got sick, apparently from the fumes and went out, he explained.

A second worker "tried to pull the product out of the building when it was overcome," Patterson says.

called and responders found the second employee suffering from nausea outside. An ambulance took this man to the hospital where he died, Patterson said.

Ten other people at the restaurant ̵

1; eight employees and two customers – checked into hospitals Thursday, with symptoms including shortness of breath, watery and runny nose. eyes and shortness of breath, says Patterson.

They have been treated with oxygen and none of them are considered to be in serious condition, according to Patterson.

The restaurant is closed overnight. Police and the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, Paterson says.

"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this tragic accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and work closely with our franchise and the authorities as they investigate," the Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement. "As the investigation continues, we cannot share further comment at this time. Any additional issues will need to be referred to local authorities. "

The Super 8 manufacturer, on his website, describes the product as a disinfectant" specifically designed for use in mechanical or manual dishwashing. "

Patterson stated that he was told that Super 8 was "just a product used in floor cleaning."

"It smelled bad"

Customers told CNN affiliate WHDH that they could smell a strong chemical smell, and people closest to the kitchen started coughing and coughing moving out.

"Imagine being in the pool but adding bleach to it. It smelled awful," Michael Bernstein told WHDH.

"I think one of the things that came to my mind was that we were sitting there like, 'What are we supposed to do? All right? Do we even have to breathe this air?'"

[CNN'sSwethaSharmacontributedtothisreport


Source link