A Canadian woman who resided in Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic in 2016, claims she has been critically ill after being exposed to a strong chemical smell in her room, and has since fought with many health problems.
Tina Hamel told CNN in an interview that the smell in her room in Grand Bahia Principe resort Punta Cana awakened her and her husband from a nap. "It was so strong that I was burning and coughing, and she was very told she was moved to another room that did not matter."
Hamel says her symptoms are getting worse and they send her into seizures. my legs popped up, I just vanished and I lost consciousness, "Hamel said.
Hamel is one of several people who went out to tell reporters that they were ill ̵
Many said they had been told to tell their stories after they had read about it The death toll of US tourists on the island – which Dominican authorities attributed to natural causes
The State Department confirmed the deaths of nearly a dozen people, whose citizens have uncovered the cases and expressed doubts about the Dominican authorities' insistence on citing natural causes. All but one visitor died in the last 18 months
Three deaths in May and one last year occurred in the resorts owned by Bahia Principe. All four American tourists died in their rooms after suddenly falling critically ill. Two of the tourists died shortly after drinking a drink from the room's mini-bar. A Maryland couple who died on May 30 was found dead by a hotel employee who went to their room after they had failed to check. , claiming they had become ill because of pesticides while in one of their hotels last year. Their description of the strong smell in the room and the onset of the disease resembles what Hamel claims to have survived. COLORADO COUPLE FILES STORING CHEMICALS IN THE DOMINICIAN REPUBLIC PLACES
The condition has deteriorated so much, CNN has reported that she was taken to a hospital in the Dominican Republic and had been there for four days. CNN reported that Hamel's medical records from the hospital documented lesions of the lungs.
After the couple returned to Ontario, CNN reported that the doctors told her she might have been poisoned by something in the Dominican Republic.
I never had a breathing problem before, never had asthma, never smoked, "says Hamel. "You know, we were healthy.
Her husband, John, said, "My wife still had difficulties, mainly breathing, she was alive. You do not want to lose anybody, especially a woman and my children, and I could not do anything. "
Bahá'í Principe Hotels & Resorts, the Baha'i Principe Hotels & Resorts, told the Fox News that the resorts are safe and that he is convinced that the investigations of some of the deaths – including those of the Maryland couple and a woman from Pennsylvania who died in her room in Bahia Principe just five days before – the Dominican authorities and the FBI will support the conclusion about the natural causes
Dana Barr, Professor at Emory University, Rolling Public School , he told the New York Times, the death of the Maryland couple in the same room is almost the same, so unusual that something like pesticide poisoning, for example, may explain it. "Some of the earlier cases seem to have been consistent with organophosphate poisoning," said Barre, quoted The Bar said pesticides or other chemicals sprayed in a room or in the vicinity could lead to exposure if the substance gets into a vent or air conditioner. they call the chemicals used in horticulture or refund their money. "As soon as we got back into the room, we noticed it smelled of someone who threw paint everywhere," said Kainlin Knul on the Canal in Denver. My eyes did not stop watering. She continued: "Tonight, we both woke up sweating like at 4 am and terrified.
They said that once they returned to the US, a doctor diagnosed "likely organophosphate poisonings" related to pesticides. Knul speculates that chemicals are used on plants around the property. "I honestly believe the truth has to be told," Knulle told the Canal in Denver. "It sounds very similar in the same resort."
Alcantara refused to comment on Hamel's story about a disease in the resort.
"So many people come with charges," Alcantara said. "Did she judge her, like the couple from Colorado?" We will not deal with any story that people tell that they are getting sick in hotels Bahia Prinzip. The trials process will try to determine whether the hotel has been negligent, and then a judge will have to make a decision. "
" And if her doctor told her what she was saying, why she did,
The FBI is conducting toxicological tests at its Virginia Research Center for Maryland's couple blood samples – Edward Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 39 – and Pennsylvania's wife Miranda Shaup-Werner. sent a small team to the Dominican Republic.
Testing food, beverages, pool water and air conditioning in resorts where people have died
A spokeswoman for the Dominican Society for the Fifth Dormitory of the Five Days Inn in Marilanda the Department of Public Health Carlos Suero told Fox News that everything tested negatively. But on Thursday, Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia told Fox News that the results are not yet known.
Toxicological results will either end this chapter and we can move on, or lead to something else, and should turn to it. We want this to be done, we really want to be able to close this chapter.
. "Death of the couple and Miranda are the ones who really put this in the international screening," he said. "We expect the authorities to complete their tests. When reporting the results, and if there is a link, the link between deaths, one model – which we do not see and believe there at the time, then we will have an official answer. Toxicological results will either end this chapter and we can move on, or it will lead to something else and we will have to deal with it. "Dominican authorities have indicated that autopsies have been shown to all tourists have died for natural reasons, and that they have been killed by the autopsy."
DOMINICAN TOURISM OFFICIAL AIR DISCIPLINARY ACTION AS THE DEATH TOURISM OF DEATH HAS BEEN DRAWN NEGLIGENT isolated incidents, but families said they had doubts. Some have hired lawyers and are planning additional autopsies and tests in the United States.
Asked whether other deaths had occurred in Bahia Principe's property in the Dominican Republic, Alcantara refused to answer.
"It is not my clients' responsibility to collect this information," he said. "It is the US State Department's responsibility to give this information. When someone dies of resort property, we inform the embassy of this man's country. The role of the embassy is to inform its citizens, give them their data, not ours. "
Click here to get FOX NEWS APP
Despite numerous requests, the State Department did not provide Fox News in response to how many US tourists have died in the Dominican Republic in recent years.In e-mail, the government agency has directed reporters on US travel death statistics on its website but data excludes deaths attributed to Dominican
The governments of the United States and the Dominican Republic, as well as those in the tourism industry, repeatedly cite incomplete statistics on the website to show that there are several deaths of US tourists compared to more than 2 million , which they visit every year – about 15
"Our properties receive about 700,000 tourists every year," – said Alcantara. "We are completely booked, our guests have fun, enjoy the beach, no one dies."