A 78-year-old man in Texas managed to get a carnivorous bacterium while on a boat – no visible open wounds or compromised immune system – and was dead less than two weeks later, his daughter
I'm a little shocked and unbelieving, "said Kim Sebek, the daughter of San Marcos's resident Jerry Sebek, who died on June 25th.
"Dad was a wonderful family man who loved hunting and fishing and doing things in the water," she told mySA.com. "We have been here (Turtle Bay) for years, and that's just an unfortunate thing that happened."
According to Kim Sebek, he never swam in the water and had no visible blades on his body at that time. 1
Sebek, who has been described in his obituary as a long-term vendor of insurance, has shown all signs of vibration – including chills, vomiting and disorientation – Sebek was taken to a local doctor and then to the hospital where he was diagnosed. September died less than two weeks later as a result of the infection. He is the second resident of Texas who died this year after eating a carnivorous bacterium, officials say.
He also had to be placed in an induced coma.
"If you do not feel well, help right away," Kim Sebek called.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention describes the bacteria of the vibrio as "naturally" living bacteria found in "some coastal waters". The infection with the vitritis it causes can spread very quickly, but usually accumulates by eating raw and inadequately processed mussels or open wounds. [19659002"Horataskomprometiranaimunnasistemaosobenotezishronichnochernodrobnozabolyavane"sashtosapo-sklonnidapoluchatvibriozasporedsmarttanaSebekprezposlednitesedmitsiCDCtvardicheokolo80%otvibriozniteinfektsiisesluchvatmezhdumayioktomvrikogatotemperaturitenavodatasanaywarmer
"CDC estimates that vibrations cause 80,000 illnesses each year in the United States," the agency wrote on its website. "Most people with mild vibration recover after about 3 days with no lasting effect. However, people with Vibrio vulnificus can become seriously ill and require intensive treatment or amputation of the limbs. About 1 in 5 people with this type of infection die, sometimes within a day or two of the disease. "