CAUTION: Below graphic images
A British woman claims to have developed a rare bacterial infection after being bitten by an insect while on vacation.
Fay Wilkes, 41, was vacationing in Spain when she said she was bitten by an insect while sunbathing by the pool. At first, she didn't think much of the bite – until she woke up that night with what she described as "shooting pain" in her left leg. She had trouble walking a few days later, she said.
"I felt I was stabbed in the left leg. It started burning immediately and I thought it was probably just a stupid mosquito bite, so I went to the pool to cool it, "she told the South West News Service (SWNS), a British news agency.
SKIN CATALITY CATALOG ENDED WITH A MASSIVE NON-BREAKING MESSAGE, BACK
"From the moment my leg started hurting, I realized something was wrong, but I didn't want to waste anyone's time," she continued. "After I started to pile up and had difficulty walking, I knew I had to get help."
Wilks sought medical attention at a local hospital in Benidorm, but said the doctors there did not help her a little. Without relief, Wilkes said he trusted his "gut instinct" and decided to cut her trip short and fly home.
"I was too weak to walk alone and started getting sick every five minutes when I got on the flight," she told SWNS, adding that flight staff called an ambulance for her when they arrived at Gatwick Airport London. She was then transported to Royal Surrey Hospital, where she was diagnosed with sepsis as a result of a rare bacterial infection called necrotizing fasciitis, colloquially called "flesh-eating bacteria".
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare bacterium. an infection that spreads quickly in the body and can lead to death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Accurate diagnosis, rapid antibiotic treatment, and prompt surgery are vital to stopping the spread of the infection. Bacteria most often enter the body by breaking the skin, such as cuts and abrasions, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds, or surgical wounds.
In addition to the red swollen area of the skin, severe pain outside the area of infected skin as well as fever may be signs of necrotizing fasciitis. The CDC advises that you see a doctor immediately if any of these symptoms develop after an injury or surgery.
Later symptoms of the infection may include ulcers, blisters or black spots on the skin, skin discolouration, pus or flushing, dizziness, fatigue, diarrhea or nausea.
Necrotizing fasciitis can lead to shock, sepsis, and insufficiency of the organs or to lifelong complications from severe scars and loss of the limb. Even with rapid treatment, up to one in three patients is diagnosed with the infection according to the CDC.
"I was absolutely horrified because I did not think that a bite of a bug in Benidorm would lead to sepsis, let alone the loss of my leg [near]," Wilks said, noting doctors they told her she was "close to death" on her first arrival. NEWS ANCOR IS DIAGNOSED WITH MOLAR SAFETY, LOSS OF CHEMOTHERAPY
To do any invasive surgery, but I still feel incredibly weak. " The bottom line is that I'm alive and still have my left foot and legs – but I know I still have a long way to go until I get out of the woods. I had to learn to walk again and build up my strength. "
The news comes after a Utah mom opened up about her horrific experience with necrotizing fasciitis, which nearly killed her and led to the loss of her right arm.  Alexander Hein contributed to this Fox News report.