- The American Dream Megamall opened on Friday in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
- Only the Nickelodeon Universe theme park and ice rink were open to the public on opening day, in addition to some pop-up activities for Halloween.
- When fully opened, the 3-million-square-foot center will have a theme park, ice rink, water park and indoor ski center in addition to over 450 stores and will be one of the largest malls in North America.
- New Jersey Transit added express bus service to and from the mall.
- Here's what it's like to go there on opening day.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
The American Dream is finally here.
The megamolol opened in New Jersey on Friday for a ceremony over 20 years in the making.
As one of the largest malls in the United States, the project has had an evolving and often delayed evolution. The final phase of the complex ̵
Although the theme park tickets were sold out well before opening day, the public was invited to explore the unfinished complex and participate in various
New Jersey Transit added express bus services to transport guests to and from the mall to ease traffic. The New York Waterway also operates a ferry service to American Dream from Manhattan with specialized shuttles to help travelers complete their journey.
On the opening day, I took the New Jersey express bus to American Dream and found it to be almost completely empty. When I got to the mall, it was devoid of the large crowds that characterized the Mall of America when it first opened in 1992. However, the theme park and ice rink were in great shape.
"It's a big day for New Jersey and a whole bunch of people," New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said during the inauguration day with representatives of the Triple Five Group, who has been leading the project since 2011.
what is it like to go to american dream on its opening day.