Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Business https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Andiamo owners call on Michigan restaurants to oppose suspension order and reopen if “3-week break” is extended

Andiamo owners call on Michigan restaurants to oppose suspension order and reopen if “3-week break” is extended



DETROIT – Two well-known restaurateurs stand behind their letter, saying they will reopen their dining rooms after the three-week restraining order expires next week, and have called on restaurants to join forces.

“This industry is hanging by a thread,” said Rosalie Vicari. Rosalie and her husband, Joe Vicari, own the Vicari restaurant group, with high-end restaurants such as Joe Muer Seafood, Brownies On The Lake and many Italian restaurants in Andiamo.

Their new letter called on Metro Detroit restaurants to come together this week.

See here: Letter sent to local restaurateurs

“We expect the governor to make a statement to extend his” break “until the end of the year, on Sunday, December 6,” the letter said. “We will reopen our restaurants on December 9.”

Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced what is considered a “three-week break” as COVID-19 cases jumped sharply in the weeks after Halloween. The order – executed through the Michigan Department of Health and Humanitarian Services – required closed indoor dining rooms, forcing restaurants to return to perform, restriction or delivery until the order was canceled. It expires on December 8.

The statement in the letter was initially taken as a defiant stance against the governor’s order and a possible decision by a federal judge. The vicar said the letter was rather prepared without opposing the governor.

  • Current COVID restrictions on Michigan’s “3-week break”: What you know
  • Why does the indoor dining room in Michigan restaurants close for 3 weeks despite fewer outbreaks?

“We will have lawyers [at the meeting] and weigh all our options. “It may not be the smartest thing to open, or it may be the smartest thing to open,” said Joe Vicari. The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, and so far the restaurateurs have said they have received a positive response.

The fight, which the vicar is calling for, is already taking place in federal court, where the Michigan Restaurant and Housing Association is suing the head of the MDHHS. The restaurants said the order to close the dining rooms was unconstitutional and not supported by science. The state said it had the support of the Michigan Hospital Association and, although they understood the pain of the closure, could not prolong the pandemic. They Vicaris did not agree.

“The malls are crowded, shopping on Black Friday. The gyms are full. The hair salons are full. The big stores are crowded. Still, the restaurants are closed and we just don’t understand that, “said Rosalie Vicari.

The judge in the case, which is being heard in the Western District of Michigan, said he was likely to issue a decision soon, but did not specify an exact date given the MDHHS’s order schedule, noting that “to say the situation is fluid is an understatement. “

  • 14 changes in force under the new COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan
  • The Detroit Restaurant is planning an outdoor dinner in response to COVID’s new restrictions

Copyright 2020 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.


Source link