During the main report of WWDC21, Apple introduced the new iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS 12 Monterey and watchOS 8, but in fact never mentioned tvOS 15 with its name. Despite the lack of focus on tvOS 15 during the event, Apple TV has new features later this year.
Last week for 9 to 5MacI wrote for the future where tvOS will be renamed homeOS. There were several reasons to believe this would happen: Apple almost never gave the stage time to talk about its Apple TV and HomePod software, and the mysterious homeOS app was found just before WWDC21.
Despite my conclusion about this transition from tvOS to homeOS, what Apple did in WWDC21
During the main report, I commented with my colleagues that the Spatial Audio feature coming with the new Apple TV was almost everything we would hear about tvOS 15 – and, unfortunately, I was right.
Less than a minute passed and until the end of the main note we realized that tvOS will have another year. In fact, we had to wait until the Apple Developer website returned to find that this software would indeed be called tvOS 15.
What happened to tvOS 15? What’s new with him?
After a basic note, Apple usually has more in-depth written information about its messages. The company has published several articles on all software updates in the Apple Newsroom, but none on tvOS. Its official website has previews for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS 12 Monterey and watchOS 8.
I couldn’t find a specific preview or promotional photo for tvOS 15. Only this morning did I find out where the new features are: in the “Expect This Fall” section of Apple’s new 4K page.
Anyway, here are the seven features we hope will come to tvOS 15 this fall, according to Apple’s website:
- SharePlay: Watch movies or shows while chatting with FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, then add Apple TV to share on the big screen.
- For all of you: Take a look at a new line in the Apple TV app to find something everyone in the house can’t wait to watch.
- Shared with you: Movies and shows shared through Messages appear on a new line in the Apple TV app.
- Spatial audio: Listen with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max for a theatrical experience with the sound that surrounds you.
- Smart AirPods routing: Receive an automatic notification on the screen to magically connect your AirPods.
- HomeKit camera enhancements: View multiple cameras around the house on your Apple TV at once.
- Stereo sound filling the room: Pair two HomePod mini speakers with Apple TV 4K and enjoy rich, balanced sound for everything you watch.
What do you think will be the future of tvOS and tvOS 15? Tell us in the comments section below.
FTC: We use automatic income partnerships. More ▼.
See 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: