The attackers struck on Friday night, killing residents of the village of Solhan in the province of Yagha, bordering Niger. They also burned homes and the market, a government statement said.
He declared a 72-hour period of national mourning, describing the attackers as terrorists, although no group has claimed responsibility. Another 40 residents were injured, government spokesman Useni Tamboura later told reporters.
The United Nations says Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is outraged by the attack, which killed seven children.
Despite the presence of thousands of UN peacekeepers, al-Qaeda and Islamic State jihadist attacks in the Sahel region of West Africa have risen sharply since the beginning of the year, especially in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, with civilians carrying the bulk. weight.
Violence in Burkina Faso has displaced more than 1.14 million people in just over two years, while the poor and dry country hosts about 20,000 refugees from neighboring Mali.
The latest attack has pushed the number of people killed by armed Islamists in the Sahel to more than 500 since January, according to West African director Human Rights Watch Corinne Dufka.
“The dynamic is that jihadists come in, they prevail over the civil defense post and participate in collective punishment against the rest of the village – a model we have seen everywhere this year,” Dufka said.
In March, attackers killed 137 people in coordinated raids on villages in southwestern Niger.
The riots in the Sahel region of more than 1 million square miles have been exacerbated by the widespread availability of weapons flowing south since the 2011 civil war in Libya. Both Mali and Chad are now in military hands.
The Nigerian president told CNN last week that terrorists circling the Sahel were now armed with weapons that “no non-state group has ever had access to before.”