Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Azerbaijan and Armenia agree to pause fighting

Azerbaijan and Armenia agree to pause fighting



The new agreement – set to begin at midnight local time (16:00 Saturday to Saturday) – was announced after both sides accused each other earlier in the day of attacks violating Moscow’s mediation weekly agreement.

The dispute dates back to the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Nagorno-Karabakh declared independence from Azerbaijan, sparking a violent conflict that ended in a shaky ceasefire in 1994.

Armenia backed Nagorno-Karabakh, which has established de facto independence that is not recognized by much of the world. Although located in Azerbaijan, the region is populated and controlled by ethnic Armenians.

Armenia said the current arson is between Karabakh and Azerbaijan.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov spoke with Azerbaijani and Armenian counterparts by telephone on Saturday to stress the need for a truce, according to the Russian Foreign Ministry.

Araik Harutyunyan, leader of the disputed region, welcomed the new peace efforts, saying in a statement: “The Artsakh Republic reaffirms its readiness to abide by the humanitarian truce on a reciprocal basis,”

; in line with the ceasefire agreements agreed by Moscow on Saturday. week.

Nagorno-Karabakh is called Artsakh by the Armenians.

Ahead of the latest ceasefire attempt on Saturday, Azerbaijan accused Armenia of a rocket attack on the second largest city of Ganja, killing at least 13 civilians – including three children – and injuring more than 50 others.

Armenia and Azerbaijan clash over a disputed region.  Here's what you need to know

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev called the missile strike a “cowardly shelling” that “cannot break the will of the Azerbaijani people.”

The attack took place in the early hours of Saturday morning and was aimed at civilian neighborhoods in the central part of the city, the Azerbaijani prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

Adviser to Azerbaijani President Hikmet Hadjiev accused Armenia of using ballistic missiles in the attack and said authorities had evidence to support the claim, according to a Twitter post.

“Let the international community see Armenia’s barbaric actions against civilians,” Hadjiev added.

The conflict we cannot ignore

Videos and photos allegedly on the scene show rescuers clearing debris to reach survivors. Prosecutors said officers were compiling a complete list of victims.

Another temporary ceasefire fell apart last weekend after temporary fighting, with both sides trading in allegations of violating the agreement amid reports of casualties.

France has demanded an “immediate cessation of hostilities” since the two countries broke out on the morning of September 27th.

The brief ceasefire came last week after UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet spoke about the suffering the conflict is inflicting on civilians.

The Nagorno-Karabakh dispute has been hot and cold since the ceasefire in 1994.

The region is located in Azerbaijani territory, connected to Armenia by an expensive highway. It is highly militarized and its forces are backed by Armenia, which has a security alliance with Russia.

Tensions have risen since July, when several days of clashes shook the border between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Aren Melikyan, Tim Lister and CNN’s Arzu Geybula contributed to this report.


Source link