COOPERSTOWN, NY – The Baseball Hall of Fame has accepted the resignation of Roberto Alomar from the board of directors, President Jane Forbes Clark announced on Monday.
Alomar, who was elected to the board of directors in 2019, resigned on Saturday following allegations of sexual misconduct.
The second man from the Hall of Fame was fired last week as a Major League baseball consultant and was included in the league’s ineligible list following an investigation into the allegations. Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the shooting on Friday, saying in a statement that an employee of the baseball industry had reported an incident earlier this year involving Alomar from 2014.
The league has hired an outside law firm to investigate. MLB said it would not provide further details on the investigation to protect the person who appeared.
Clark said after Manfred’s announcement that Alomar’s plaque would remain on display in the hall because “its attachment reflects its admissibility and the perspective of BBWAA voters at the time.” Alomar was introduced in 2011.
Alomar also lost his position as a special assistant with the Toronto Blue Jays. The club said it was severing ties with Alomar, including removing him from the pinnacle and removing his flag from the Rodgers Center.
The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum also said it would not revoke his status as an appointee, but still barred him from future events at the Hall and said it would no longer be associated with him or his foundation.
Alomar has been a 12-time star for 17 seasons in the San Diego Padres, Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, New York Metz, Chicago White Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks. He was known as a slippery field player, winning 10 gold gloves, and also because of his temper – he disgraced the face of referee John Hirschbeck, winning a five-match ban in 1996.