President Biden turned in on Monday and said he would allow up to 62,500 refugees to enter the United States over the next six months, removing the severe restrictions that former President Donald J. Trump had imposed disasters on those seeking refuge from war, violence, or natural events.
“This erases the historically low number set by the previous administration of 15,000, which does not reflect America’s values as a nation that accepts and supports refugees,” Biden said in a statement issued by the White House.
The action came about two weeks after Biden said he would leave the 1
White House officials insisted that Mr. Biden’s intentions in mid-April were misunderstood. But his decision to increase the refugee limit to 62,500 shows he was under pressure to act.
In a statement, Mr Biden acknowledged that the government was unlikely to relocate 62,500 refugees due to budget and staff cuts suffered by the agencies during Mr Trump’s administration. Mr Biden did not say whether the government had already succeeded in accepting 15,000 refugees authorized by his predecessor.
“The sad truth is that we will not achieve 62,500 admissions this year,” he said. “We are working quickly to repair the damage of the last four years. It will take some time, but this work is already underway. “