One restaurant employee died and at least 10 other people, including patrons, were hospitalized Thursday after a chemical reaction at Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts, authorities said.
BUFFALO WILD WINGS FIRES EMERGENCY GROUP EMPLOYEES TO NOTE CUSTOMER "RACIST"
Emergency crews responded around 5:30 pm to Buffalo Wild Wings in Milestone, Burlington, Burlington Receiving reports that a chemical reaction had occurred in the restaurant's kitchen, Boston-based WHDH television reported.
A male employee suffering from severe nausea was found after being exposed to a strong chemical cleaner and taken to hospital. He died that night, Michael Paterson, provisional Burlington Fire Chief, confirmed. His name has not been released.
Police and fire crews evacuated the restaurant. A state-run Hazmat team was also called to the scene.
A spokesman for Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement, "We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific disaster at our franchise-owned sports bar and work closely with our franchisee and authorities as they investigate." [1
Click HERE for ALL NEW FOXBUSINESS.COM
Authorities believe a different employee was preparing a cleaning agent to wipe the kitchen floor when it smells fumes and immediately escapes the building. The man who later died was left behind to try to wipe the cleaning solution from the back of the restaurant, Patterson said.
The police and fire department are investigating the incident. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has also been notified. The location of the Buffalo Wild Wings remained closed Thursday night.