Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ US https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Carnesha Mendoza, captain of the US Capitol Police, describes chemical burns suffered during the attack

Carnesha Mendoza, captain of the US Capitol Police, describes chemical burns suffered during the attack

Mendoza’s slanderous testimony came Tuesday at the start of a controversial Senate hearing on intelligence and security failures in the January 6 attack on the Capitol.

“I continued to the Rotunda, where I noticed a heavy, smoke-like remnant and smelled what I thought was military-grade gas – a familiar smell. It was mixed with a fire extinguisher spray deployed by the rebels. The rebels continued to deploy CS in the Rotunda.” said Mendoza, a captain in the special operations department

“Employees have received a lot of gas exposure, which is worse inside the building than outside because there is nowhere to go,” Mendoza added. “I got chemical burns on my face that haven̵

7;t healed to this day.”

Mendoza, who has served in the U.S. Army and has been a member of the U.S. Capitol Police for nearly 19 years, said she has worked on controversial events throughout her career and that during the events she was called “so many names so many times that now I’m numb. ”

She also said the uprising in the US Capitol, where nearly 140 officers were injured and one was killed, “was the worst of the worst” of events she worked during her career as an officer.

“We could have had 10 times as many people working with us, and I still believe that this battle would have been just as devastating,” Mendoza said.

“At some point, my right hand got stuck between the rebels and the railing on the wall,” she testified. “A sergeant (from the DC police) released me by the arm and if he hadn’t, I’m sure he would have been broken.”

“Employees asked me for relief”

Mendoza told senators how she witnessed her colleagues being hit by objects thrown by the rebels, and that after police cleared the Rotunda, police had to physically keep the Capitol door closed while the rebels continued to try to enter the building.

As part of a rally

“After a few hours, the police cleared the Rotunda, but they had to physically keep the door closed because it was broken by the rebels,” Mendoza said. “The staff asked me for relief because they weren’t sure how long they could physically keep the door closed, and the crowd kept pounding on the outside of the door, trying to get in again. Eventually, the staff managed to secure the door with furniture and other items. . “

Mendoza described how she was at home with her 10-year-old child before being called shortly after 1:30 p.m. She joined her fellow officers who were already on the front line.

“I’m proud of the officers I worked with on January 6. They fought extremely hard. I know some said the battle lasted three hours, but according to my Fitbit, I was in the training area for 4 hours and nine minutes. and many officers were in the battle before I even arrived. “

Source link