A Tennessee woman says she went to a nail salon to get a manicure, but was left with bacteria that eat flesh. She even claims the infection almost made her lose her arm.
Jane Sharpe told a CBS affiliate of WTVF that she "rammed herself in the thumb" earlier this year while receiving a manicure at Knoxville, a Jazzy Nail night bar. Sharpe told the outlet that he did not initially believe that stabbing was something to worry about.
However, in just a few hours, she said that her thumb was "pulsing" and she was beginning to experience flu-like symptoms. One of Sharp's daughters, a registered nurse, prays to see a doctor and she goes.
The next morning, a swelling caused him to reach Sharpe's elbow and she was taken to the emergency room where she received horrific news, WTVF reported. She was informed that the disease was̵
"The doctors told us that I waited another hour, it might not be a good situation," Sharp told WTVF. "I think a Florida man died within 48 hours of bacteria-eating meat."
A cancer-fighting man died from bacteria-eating 48 hours after a Florida beach in July. The man's daughter has confirmed that he has contracted Vibrio vulnificus, "which manifests in necrotizing fasciitis," she said in a Facebook post.
A 12-year-old Indiana girl
Sharpe has had numerous surgeries performed in Knoxville and Nashville, but she said it takes months to feel normal. She added that her thumb is still numb and looks a little different than before. "I'm lucky to be alive," she said.
Sharp told the outlet that he was pursuing legal action against the salon.
Sharp and Jazzy Nail Bar have not yet returned a request for comment on CBS News.