قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ China warns of long road ahead for deal with US after ice-breaking talks

China warns of long road ahead for deal with US after ice-breaking talks



BEIJING / OSAKA (Reuters) – China and the United States will face a long road before they can reach a deal to end their bitter trade war, with more fights ahead, Chinese state media said after the two countries' presidents held ice-breaking talks in Japan.

U.S. President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping sit for a photo ahead of their bilateral meeting during the G20 leaders summit in Osaka, Japan, June 29, 2019. REUTERS / Kevin Lamarque

The world's two largest economies are in the middle of a bitter trade war, which has seen them increasingly importing tariffs on each other's imports.

In a sign of significant progress in relations on Saturday, Chinese President Xi Jinping and U.S. President Donald Trump, on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Osaka, agreed to a ceasefire and a return to talks.

However, the official China Daily, an English-language daily often used by Beijing to send its message to the rest of the world, was warned while there was a greater likelihood of reaching an agreement, there is no guarantee there would be one.

"Even though Washington has agreed to postpone levying additional tariffs on Chinese goods to make way for negotiations, and Trump even hinted at putting off decisions on Huawei until the end of the negotiations, it is still very much up in the air," it said in an editorial late Saturday.

"The agreement on 90 percent of the issues has proved to be insufficient, and with the remaining 10 percent where their fundamental differences lie, it will not be easy to reach a 100 percent consensus, since at this point, they remain largely separate even on the conceptual level. "

Trump also offered an olive branch to Xi on Huawei Technologies Co., the world's largest telecom network equipment maker. The Trump administration has said the Chinese firm has a national security risk given its close ties to China's government, and has lobbied the U.S. allies to keep Huawei out of next-generation 5G telecom infrastructure.

The Chinese government's top diplomat, State Councilor Wang Yi, in a lengthy statement on G20 released by the Foreign Ministry following the delegation's return to Beijing, said the Xi-Trump meeting had sent a "positive signal" to the world.

China remains confident that both countries will follow the consensus reached by their leaders that they can resolve their problems on the basis of mutual respect, Wang said in a statement released late Saturday.

Trump's comments on Huawei, made at a more than hour-long news conference in Osaka following his sit-down with Xi, generated only a cautious welcome from China. The word "Huawei" was not mentioned at all in the top diplomat's appraisal of the G20.

Wang Xiaolong, the Foreign Ministry's special envoy of G20 affairs and head of the Department of International Economic Affairs, said that if China does what it says on Huawei then China would certainly welcome it.

"Putting restrictions in areas that go beyond technology and economic factors will definitely lead to a lose-lose situation. So if the U.S. side can do what it says then we will surely welcome that, "Wang told reporters.

The pause in tensions is likely to be welcomed by the business community and markets, which have swooned on both sides of the Pacific due to the trade war.

Jacob Parker, vice president of China operations at the US-China Business Council, said returning to talks was good news for the business community and added much needed certainty to "a slowly deteriorating relationship."

"Now comes the hard work of finding consensus on the most difficult issues in the relationship, but with a commitment from the top we hope that this will put the two sides on a sustained path to resolution."

Slideshow (2 Images)

China's position as the trade war has progressed has become increasingly strident, saying it would not be bullied, would not give in to the pressure, and that it would "fight to the end".

Taoran Notes, an influential WeChat account run by China's Economic Daily, said the United States was now aware that China was not going to give in, and that tariffs on Chinese goods were increasingly unpopular back home.

"We've said it before – communication and friction between China and the United States is a long-term, difficult and complex thing. Fighting then talking, fighting then speaking, is the normal state of affairs, "it said.

Reporting by Ben Blanchard and Michael Martina; Editing by Sam Holmes

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles

Source link