A number of civilians were killed in an air raid and a ground attack on Taliban hideout by Afghan special forces in southern Helmand province.
There were conflicting reports about the number of people killed and injured at Operation Taliban-controlled Musa Kala neighborhood on Sunday night. Authorities say the killed civilians were part of a wedding procession that came under fire during an operation aimed at a house used by the Taliban.
Omar Zwak, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said at least 14 fighters, including six foreigners, on Monday in Al Jazeera, adding that authorities were investigating reports of civilian casualties.
"We know there have been civilian deaths in this raid, but we don't have a number yet," he said. "H however, we are investigating to find out more." Ataullah Afghanistan, a member of the Helmand Provincial Council, told Reuters that 35 civilians were killed and 1
Abdul Majeed Ahund, the province's deputy advisor, said that Associated Press authorities are investigating reports that at least 24 people present at the wedding were killed in the attack. inflicting civilian casualties during night raids.
Afghan and allied international forces, including NATO, killed more civilians in the first three months of this year than the Taliban and combatants from other armed groups, a UN report said in April.
At least 305 civilians were killed by pro-government forces between January and March, 52.5 percent of all deaths during this period, according to the findings of of the 1945 UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).
In one of the most damning incidents earlier this month, four brothers were killed in an attack conducted by the CIA-trained 02 Division of the Spy Agency in Afghanistan, the National Security Directorate (NDS).
On Friday, the United States confirmed that they were carrying out a drone attack on September 19 that killed at least 30 farmers in Nangarhar province. At least 40 others were injured in the attack in the Wazir Tangi area of Hoxhani district.
The United States and the Taliban opened peace talks last October in Qatar with the aim of ending the nearly 18-year war in Afghanistan.
But with a surprise move, US President Donald Trump announced last month after nine rounds of talks that the talks were canceled without a deal.
A week after the talks were canceled, Trump said in a tweet that the Taliban "have never been hit harder." "With Trump repealing the peace deal with the Taliban, there has been an increase in drone attacks and ground operations, leading to an increase in civilian casualties." Faizullah Zaland Kabul-based political analyst said to Al Jazeera.
" This will deepen the mistrust of the people in the Afghan government and deepen the current crisis",
"The United States needs to play more of an answer" 19659005] Afghanistan held its fourth presidential election on September 28, after U.S.-led forces ousted the Taliban from power in 2001.
Al Jazeera and News Agencies