The business of the inner empire and government officials reacted with disappointment and resignation on Thursday, November 19, to the news that Governor Gavin Newsom had announced a curfew at 10pm for the counties most affected by the coronavirus pandemic, including the hinterland.
“It’s hard enough to try to run a business outside,” said Mike Brewer, owner of The Sire Bar & Grill in Riverside, citing existing restrictions on indoor dining.
From Saturday, November 21, the districts in the purple state of the state will have to stop all insignificant work, traffic and gatherings between 22:00 and 5:00, by order of Newsom. As of Monday, Nov. 16, 41 of the state’s 58 counties, including Los Angeles County and all of Southern California, are in purple. Ninety-four percent of Californians live in purple-level counties.
The Los Angeles County had already set its own time from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am for bars, restaurants and related businesses on Tuesday, November 17th.
Brewer said businesses like his serve people who work non-traditional hours, such as first aid.
“They have very limited opportunities, as the evening progresses, to eat in a sitting position,” he said. “We keep our kitchen open until midnight, and now with the curfew we won’t be able to do that, and these people will have less opportunity to get something to eat after they come down from the third shift.”
Activist Christy Sepulveda-Burchit of San Bernardino County Stand Up, who opposed previous exclusions, questioned the logic behind the order.
“I really don’t know what the benefits will be,” she said. “Is there science behind the curfew?” Is there a science behind this? “
Yes, according to Dolores Green, executive director of the Riverside County Medical Association.
“Between 10pm and 5am there are mostly big gatherings, parties and bars,” Green said. “It focuses on specific activities that we know are distributors. I think for the health of the community, we need to take these steps to try to get things under control before the flu season and the holiday season. “
Dual features are likely to be discontinued at Mission Tiki Drive-In in Montclair, Rubidoux Drive-In in Jurupa Valley and Van Buren Drive-Ins in Riverside.
“Every second picture will not be shown to any audience,” said Frank Huttinger, vice president of De Anza Land and Leisure Co., which operates the three devices, all of which were reserved for dual functions this weekend. “It’s going to be an interesting range from phone calls to movie distributors.”
County Riverside should limit the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, according to Cindy Roth, president and CEO of the Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce, and eliminate the need for such restrictions in the future.
“We sent an email to our members urging our members to comply, but we will continue to work with the state to see what other alternatives there are, to keep curving this curve, to get us out of this purple layer,” Roth said Thursday.
She said her organization is working to publish new free coronavirus saliva tests offered at Riverside. River officials said the county was at a purple level due to testing of mostly symptomatic people, which gave a heightened impression of how many cases of COVID-19 there were in the county.
Bellflower-based Norms restaurants, which boasted 24-hour snacks before the pandemic, now close at 22:00 most nights and most seats, but are open until 11pm on weekends. This will change when the evening takes effect.
Norms’ top priority is the health and safety of guests and staff, CEO and President Mike Colonna said in an email.
“The biggest difficulty is planning due to the circumstances of the ever-changing environment, but I can assure you that Norms and the restaurant industry know how to serve guests in a safe atmosphere,” he wrote.
The United States suffered 250,000 coronavirus deaths on Wednesday, the most from any country in the world. Locally, San Bernardino County and Riverside County have the second and third highest cases of COVID-19 in California. On Tuesday, the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to prepare a lawsuit against Newsom over its restrictions on coronavirus.
Newsom’s order remains in effect until the morning of December 21.
Staff writer Fielding Buck contributed to this report.