Quest student from Quest, living in San Luis Obispo, died of what is believed to be bacterial meningitis, public health department of San Luis Obispo County reported on Thursday. Meanwhile, public health officials say they work with local hospitals, college and people who have had close contact with the student to determine if there is someone else who can be infected. According to reports, these people will receive preventive antibiotics.
Bacterial meningitis is an infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord. It can be spread by kissing, sharing cutlery or drinking cups, or other prolonged, very close contact. Symptoms of bacterial meningitis usually include sudden fever, headaches and stiffness of the neck. It can start with flu-like symptoms and may include nausea, vomiting, rash, confusion and increased sensitivity to light.
Anyone with symptoms of bacterial meningitis should seek immediate medical attention. It can be treated with antibiotics.
There are also two types of vaccines that can be protected against the disease