A father was left devastated after his daughter died minutes after being born of an infection that affects one in 1,750 newborns.
Brendan Maguire of Belfast, Northern Ireland, is now calling on all parents to receive a private group B streptomycin (GBS) medical test, reports in Belfast.
The 31-year-old said he felt like he was dreaming when his daughter Holly "went" and then died at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast in 2016.
The mortgage counselor said, "Everyone thought Holly she was completely healthy, but soon after she was born she became unstable and lethargic, found her breathing difficult and then died
"It was inexplicable . I went to a place where I never was, I just could not believe – I felt like dreaming.
GBS is a bacterium carried by about 40% of adults, usually in the intestine, and up to 25% of women in the vagina – without symptoms or side effects.
The bacterium is present in approximately 20% of pregnant women, which does not cause harm but can pass unintentionally to the baby at birth. Most babies will not be affected, but one in 1,750 newborns will develop GBS infection. One out of every 19 of these babies will die, and one in four survivors will be left with long-term disability.
Brendan said he and his wife, Susan, 36, had a book of books but were not aware of the dangers of GBS.
He added, "We were not informed that my wife is wearing it, although 40% of people can carry it at any moment."
"There is a risk matrix and if you do not tick the boxes, they they will not try you.
"We did not know the cause of Holly's death and wait a few weeks to the report is back, but we've already guessed it was the streak of Group B because Susan was diagnosed with her after Holly's birth we think we need to inform you about the possible risk and where to go to get a private test, which costs 35 pounds. "
Group B infections in newborn infants can be prevented (usually penicillin) through a vein for women at birth, which reduces the risk by up to 90%
Since 2000, there has been an increase of 31% in the incidence of GBS infections in infants under 3 months of age, Risk-Based Prevention Recommendations introduced in 2003
He said: "If group B strep throat gets into the baby has devastating consequences, it can make them more susceptible to severe diseases such as meningitis and Holly-Pneumonia.
"The message we want to get is that the NHS, although very good, will not tell you about Group B, unless you mark all boxes to be considered at risk – and the chances are very low
"Do not risk, just check for it. For 35 pounds is the difference between life and death. "Earlier this month, Holly's death death investigation found that the hospital was not guilty of heart rhythm at that time, and despite the flaws in the systems, Holly's death could not be prevented."
I believe that midwives have acted appropriately in the context of the training they have been given.
"I believe that the use of CTG-free stickers is a system error."
The errors found in the systems did not affect the outcome. "Dr Hurrell is of the opinion and finds that death is due to: I (a) Congenital pneumonia (group B streptococci) The Trust of Health and Welfare said: "Belfast Trust expands our sympathy to this very difficult moment for Holly's parents."
"There is a regional training of Holly's case and As a result, Northern Ireland has changed its processes in relation to yudenieto of infant heart at birth. "