Flyers avoided a second straight loss on Tuesday night.
But they may have suffered two more losses in the human resources department.
Alain Vigneault’s club have recovered from their worst loss at home after the head coach was hired in April 2019, losing to Sabers 3-0 at Wells Fargo Center.
After a shot of 11 goals in a pair of victories over the Penguins, the Flyers managed to score only four goals in their backs in a set with Buffalo. However, given the 6-1 blow they took on Monday from Sabers, the split will look like a steak dinner for the Flyers as they head on their first trip.
Travis Konecni, Jakub Voracek and Kevin Hayes (empty net) secured the goals on Tuesday night, while Brian Elliott was superb in his first start of the season.
The victory may be worth it, as Philip Myers and Morgan Frost came out injured and did not return.
• Elliott is as valuable to Flyers and Carter Hart as a backup veteran. As the Flyers had trouble preventing shots against the heaviest Sabers, Elliott conceded 40 saves.
Two of these stops came consecutively and were of the greatest variety in the first period with no game.
Elliott’s 40 saves have been the most out of a Flyers goalkeeper out since November 2014, when Steve Mason recorded 46 stops in a 1-0 loss to the Islanders.
Elliott was associated with Hart’s spelling during two critical moments in the last regular season.
More impressive things than the reliable 35-year-old on Tuesday night.
More: Ralph Krueger disappointed after Ivan Provorov-Carter Hutton clash
• Recognize Flyers for the way things have tightened up in defense. Placing the show one night after being blown up for six goals is a big response at the start of the season.
Going back to last January, they are constantly getting back on the horse.
• The flyers have come out in all their games, three of them with a double-digit difference.
But they were significantly better Tuesday night in their race-oriented, proprietary system. They also played two periods with five defenders and the third period with 11 strikers.
Some good solutions and timely implementation.
• Konecny broke free in the break when he scored his fourth goal in four games to give the Flyers 1-0 later in the second period.
Oscar Lindblom made him with a beautiful bank card. Massive goal as Flyers had fallen into a mini offensive spell and simply lost Frost moments before the game.
Konecny and Lindblom were centered by Nolan Patrick, making a new, new line.
“We all love each other on and off the ice,” Lindblom said, “so when we play together, we have fun.”
• Vorachek’s goal was huge and Hayes found him in the game before the center froze the game.
The Flyers are 24-0-1 in games where Hayes scores goals, including the regular season and the playoffs.
• Flyers hit the road for the first time this season when they face the Bruins in Boston on Thursday (19:00 ET / NBCSP) and Saturday (19:00 ET / NBCSP).
Subscribe and rate Flyers Talk
Apple Podcasts Spotify | Stitch | Art19 | YouTube