During the coronavirus pandemic, there was nothing they could do in Boston outside of hockey.
And given the results on the ice, they certainly won’t miss Beantown.
Alain Vigneault’s club was hit by Bruins, 6-1, on Saturday night at TD Garden when Boston considered two games with the Flyers.
Flyers scored five goals in both games. Bruins scored a combined seven in the third period alone.
Prior to this safe trip, the Flyers (3-2-1) had played 30 games of the regular season with no consecutive losses. They had last lost two consecutive games in the regular season on December 31st. 7 from last year, when four in a row dropped out.
The flyers are broken and do not have the winner of the Selke Trophy for 201
Carter Hart, who rarely shows his disappointment, was featured on the NBC Sports Philadelphia show, taking a few punches and breaking his wand over the net after the last horn on Saturday night.
• The flyers resemble a completely different team, which rushed down in the regular season 2019-20.
Should this worry you? Yes. Do they allow an awful number of shots? Yes.
But the sky is not falling. They are 3-2-1 and some of Vigneault’s best teams did not understand things right away, including last season. Reminder: The Flyers started 2-3-1 last season and were the best on average at the beginning of the month. Flyers didn’t really click until January.
This season starts later and the 56-game campaign has been shortened, but the Delaware Valley still doesn’t have to push the panic button.
• Overcoming opposition does not mean everythingbut it’s not good when you go over every game in the first six of the season.
This happened to the Flyers, with four of these differentials fired with a double-digit field.
They came in on Saturday night, allowing the second biggest shots of an NHL game (37.4) and came out 213-142 in six games.
• The real return goal for the Flyers came 4:13 in the third period, when Eric Gustafson was fully exposed in the defensive zone.
The off-season acquisition was sloppy and overshadowed. Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand made him call, increasing Boston’s lead to 4-1 and it was almost a game.
After a good performance in the opening, the offensive Gustafson has only one assist, five shots and fights in defense. If he does not produce an offensive tone, he should be better in defense.
• This is the first time in his career that Hart has conceded four or more goals in three consecutive starts. The 22-year-old has allowed 14 in his current start from three games.
The Flyers played extremely poorly in front of him. It can also be significantly better, but Flyers are systematically in a mess.
Hart is perhaps the least of Flyers’ worries.
Yaroslav Halak had to make only 16 saves for the victory.
• The Flyers suffered their first loss of regulation under Kevin Hayes when the 28-year-old center scored.
They are now 24-1-1 in matches that Hayes turns on the light, including the regular season and the playoffs.
• The Bruins were without David Pastrnak (hip) in this set of two games and it didn’t matter much.
Boston’s other two stars, Bergeron and Marchand, split the Flyers on Saturday night. They had two goals and three points each.
• Oscar Lindblom asked the NHL if he could wear a sticker with a cancer ribbon for the rest of the season, and the league approved his request.
The 24-year-old winger was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma in December 2019 and completed his radiotherapy in July 2020.
• Flyers are on Sunday and practice Monday in Wurghis, New Jersey, before traveling to Newark, New Jersey, for games against the Devils on Tuesday (19:00 ET / NBCSP) and Thursday (19:00 ET / NBCSP).
Subscribe and rate Flyers Talk
Apple Podcasts Spotify | Stitch | Art19 | YouTube