قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Entertainment https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Domingo withdraws from Met Opera after harassment reports

Domingo withdraws from Met Opera after harassment reports



NEW YORK (AP) – The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Placido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from the list of planned performances at the opera following sexual harassment allegations made by multiple women in two Associated Press stories. The legend of the opera indicated that he would never go out to the Met again.

Domingo was scheduled to play the title role in the premiere of Verdi's Macbeth season Wednesday night, which would be his first show in the United States since the AP reports that many women have accused him of inappropriate behavior , including one soprano who says he grabbed her naked breast.

The target was under increasing pressure to cancel Domingo's six planned appearances, but overall manager Peter Gelb reiterated to performers after a dress rehearsal Saturday that the opera house was awaiting results from investigations at the Los Angeles Opera, where Domingo is general manager since 2003, and the American Guild of Music Artists, the union representing various opera staff.

Domingo, who was singing rehearsals, came out with a statement saying his career at the Met was over after the company said it had 706 performances as a singer, pl 169 us as a conductor.

"I made my Metropolitan Opera debut at the age of 27 and sang in this magnificent theater for 51 consecutive, glorious years," the star said. "While I strongly dispute the recent allegations made to me and am concerned about the climate in which people have been convicted without due process, upon reflection, I believe that my appearance in this production of Macbeth will divert attention from my work colleagues as both onstage and behind the scenes.

"As a result, I asked to withdraw," he adds, "and thank the Met management for graciously accepting my request. I am happy that at the age of 78 I was able to sing the wonderful title role in the rehearsal of Macbeth, which I consider to be my last performance on the Met stage. "

In a statement, The Met said that the wife of a long marriage of Spanish descent" agreed to withdraw from any future performance at the Met, effective immediately. "

Gelb sent an email to Met employees. saying, "We thank him for acknowledging that he

the Philadelphia Orchestra, the San Francisco Opera and the Dallas Opera have previously canceled upcoming concerts featuring Domingo after AP stories were published. But his reception is much different in Europe, where he received a long standing ovation after a performance by Verdi's Louise Miller at the Salzburg Festival in Austria on August 25 and 31, just weeks after AP's original story.

One of Domingo's accusers, Patricia Wolfe, called Domingo's retirement from Met "such a relief."

"I feel like we have achieved something," says Wolfe, who accused Domingo of repeatedly harassing her during a performance at the Washington Opera in the late 1990s while he was the company's CEO.

"The target is finally activated and done the right thing," she told the AP.

In addition to announcing Domingo's withdrawal, Gelb said Met has suspended tenor Vittorio Grigolo pending the outcome of an investigation opened on Tuesday by the Royal Opera House in London, which is said to have been implicated in an incident of September 18, when he sang the title role at Gunno's Faust on a tour in Tokyo. [19659002] Grigolo, 42, had to sing Alfredo's six performances at Verdi's La Traviata in Met in February and March. He did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.

Meth laid off conductor James Levine in March 2018, following an investigation by a law firm detained by the company, found evidence of sexual abuse and harassment. Levine, the company's music director from 1976-2016, was emeritus's music director at the time, and denied the allegations. He filed a lawsuit and defamation case, which was settled last month.

Domingo made his Met debut in September 1968 and is known to many outside the opera for his performances as part of The Three Tenors with Luciano Pavarotti and Jose Carreras. Singing well beyond the retirement age of most singers, he transitioned to baritone parts in 2009, expanding his repertoire to over 150 roles.

Domingo's next scheduled performance is at Verdi's Nabucco at the Zurich Opera on October 13. will not sing in the US until Donizetti's Roberto Devereux at the LA Opera, which opens Feb. 22.

Zeljko Lucic will replace him for Met's three Macbeth performances. Domingo was also scheduled to perform four as Sharpless in Puccini's Madama Butterfly in Met in November.

Prior to Domingo's departure, the New York State Senator, whose district includes the Opera House, had called for his removal.

"I believe they have an obligation to hold their performers to a high standard, given the fact that they are one of the most important cultural institutions in the world," said Brad Hoylman, a Democrat. "They should think no. not only for his celebrity and star power, but also for the 20 women who are alleged to have complained.The target has a duty to guarantee the safety and well-being of his employees and I am concerned that if they do not take action on this , this issue may discourage future employees from continuing forward. "

___

authors Associated Press Jocelyn Gecker and Jocelyn Noveck contributed to this report.


Source link