And, as you might expect, Trump spent a good chunk of his 85-minute speech spiking on football on Democrats and the media who, he claims, knew all along that he had never colluded with Russia. Those riffs – plus a whole lot of other memorable lines from the President of the United States – are below
2." After three years of lies and smears and defamation, the Russian hoax is finally dead. "The Special Counsel completed his report and found no collusion and no obstruction."
3. "Total exoneration. Complete vindication."
4. "The crazy attempt by the Democrat Party and the fake news media right back there and the 'deep state' to overturn the results of the 201
To be clear: appointee – Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein – and run by a lifelong Republican (Mueller). It is not clear how this amounts to a "deep state" conspiracy aimed at overturning the results of the elections in 2016.
5. "We want us and that's what we got."
"We want us and that's what we got." – The President of the United States
6. "The Russian witch hunt was a plan by those who lost the election to try and illegally regain power by framing the innocent Americans, many of them."
Not to be a dead horse here but … seven people affiliated in a variety of ways with Trump and / or his campaign pleaded guilty to crimes ranging from financial fraud to lying to investigators about the breadth and depth of conversations with the Russians. I'm not sure how "those who lost the election" were able to make that happen. But remember that Trump and its base thrive on a) victimhood and b) conspiracy theories. And so, Trump leans heavily into both.
7. "And this group of major losers did not just furiously attack me, my family and everyone who questioned their lies they tried to divide our country."
Victimhood + conspiracy, with a pinch of bullying ("major losers") thrown in for flavor.
8. "They did it all because they refused to accept the results of one of the greatest presidential elections, probably number one, in our history."
"Probably number one."
9. "Little pencil neck Adam Schiff has got the smallest, thinnest neck I've ever seen."
So a) Trump is referring to Fox News hosts as "our friends" and b) he is intimately aware of TV ratings
11. "Just think of it, and fake, dirty dossier, millions and millions of dollars paid for it, by whom? Crooked Hillary Clinton, DNC and the Democrat Party."
12. "Did you ever hear of Michigan?"
Trump asked while in, um, Michigan. "And I remember leaving and I said, so [Hillary Clinton’s] got 500 people and I had 32,000 people including the people outside."
14. "We will tell you, we have more tonight, because we have even more than we did then."
Wait, is this a rhetorical question?
Wait, is this a rhetorical question? 17. "Red was killing – they were dying."
Trump is talking about the colors of the map on Election Night.
"When they spy on me, whoever heard of this, they spied on me, they spied on our campaign."
19. "They came from the valleys, they came from the mountains, they came out of the damn rivers."
Voters for Trump came from the rivers! I would like to read more about this river-dweller vote
20. "I do not know what you were doing in the river but they came from the cities."
No words. "They came and they came and they did not even know these people existed."
Who – or what – is the "they" here? [brain explodes]
22. "I always say, they say the elite They're the elite I'm not, well I have a better education than they are I'm smarter than them I went to the best schools they did not. Much more beautiful house, much more beautiful apartment, much more beautiful everything and I'm president and they're not. "
Donald Trump's presidency summarized: I'm the president and you're not. "I get a kick I hear, so and so, the elite and then you see this guy like this little schlepper. You're more loya l. You're a hell of a lot harder, and hell of a lot tougher. "
Toughness is everything to Trump. Can I beat you up? If so, I'm better. That's how he sees the world. Social Darwinism. Also, who is the "little schlepper" is Trump referring to here
24. "The Democrats will now decide whether they will continue to defraud the public with a ridiculous bullshit."
"China, we have gone up, we have gone down but we want them to be healthy."
Summary: US: UP. China: DOWN
" I'll take the stream of consciousness for $ 500, Alex. "
27. "It's faster and it's less expensive."
Donald Trump would like to know the border wall is "much more beautiful" than people have said. "They do anything they can – you're a shifty shift."
I honestly have no idea. "I support the Great Lakes, they've always been. They're beautiful, they're great, very deep, record deepness."
30. "Thank you Donald."
No one loves going to third person like Donald Trump likes going third person. "Go get yourself a good socialist."
Can I buy one of those at Target? "We did good with women and I think we're going to do better with women now."
"I'm sorry, the wind, windmills, wind, and wind." "If it does not – if it does not blow you can forget about the television for that night. I know a lot about wind. "
Oh. MY. GOD.
34. "We passed massive tax cuts, the biggest in the history of our country."
This sentence came DIRECTLY after Trump proclaimed "I know a lot about wind." DIRECTLY.
35. "Democrats are pushing a cynical and destructive agenda of radicalism, resistance, resist, and resist."
My bet? You are going to be hearing a whole lot of that line between now and November 2020.
36. "What do you do? It's 160 miles, darling, where do I get a charge? Where do I get a charge, darling?"
The President of the United States on electric cars. (Sidebar: Why do people in Trump's imaginary conversations always refer each other as "darling"?)
"It's like I attacked so violently Pocahontas and I knocked her out of the race I guess and I said why did I do that for? It's too early."
No big deal here! Just the President of the United States bragging about how he "attacked so violently" Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
"The radical Democrats retaliated by passing a reckless resolution to end vital border security operations."
[narrator voice] So did the Republican-controlled Senate. "They're all met by the lawyers and they say, say the following phrase I'm afraid for my life I'm afraid for my life OK And then I look at the guy He looks like he just got out of the ring, he's the heavyweight champion of the world. "
According to the President of the United States, everyone claiming asylum in the United States it is faking it because they are lawyered up and look like "the heavyweight champion of the world." And, of course, if you are big, you can not be afraid for your life. So, all asylum seekers are part of a "big fat con job."
40. "Radical Democrats are the party of high taxes, open borders, late-term abortion, crimes, hoaxes and delusions."
This is another line you will hear a lot like the 2020 campaign gets underway in a more substantial way
41. "We believe in the words and we always will not change it." They want us to change a lot of things, "It's not happening." Of our national motto, "In God We Trust", "In God We Trust". "
42. "I will never, ever stop and we are winning so big. Nobody thought it could happen."
No one thought we could win like this. The best winning. The kind of winning that makes you bored
43. "We'll make America wealthy again and we're doing it."
Who's against getting rich? Again! It feels like a good place to end