A popular crustacean farm that supplies luxury restaurants in the bay area has stopped oyster production in Tomalas Bay after dozens of people who ate heavy eggs – many of them at New Year's Eve parties – said they were sick. Co., whose oysters and other shellfish are served by the Zuni Cafe, State Bird Provisions and several other famous San Francisco restaurants, issued a voluntary withdrawal of their oysters earlier this month when reports began to appear that people had symptoms of food poisoning.
From Wednesday, 43 people reported having had an illness after eating oysters, according to the California Department of Public Health.  In four cases, people experience a positive result for norovirus, a relatively common disease of the gastrointestinal tract, which is sometimes found in raw oysters. far away at the time the investigators began sampling, state officials and owners of Hog Island said. He noted that Tomalés Bay will be closed for harvesting due to rain. said. "In the long run, we need to look at how we can improve later." None of the potentially contaminated oysters is still on the market, in Hog Island's own restaurants or in other restaurants.
The first reports of illness came to the company around the end of December, Sawyer said. Other clients report their illness to local health authorities. After numerous messages, it is more and more likely that the oysters of Hog Island are infected, the company has decided to call the oysters on January 2. Several people said they had become ill after eating oysters at the Hog Island farm in Marshall. Two of the reports came from the harsh bar "Hog Island" in San Francisco's Ferry Building. Five people said they had become ill after eating oysters at the New Year's Party in the Batteries. Forty-one companies were affected by seizure, most of them in San Francisco and the North Bay, according to the state health department. the investigation. The Food and Drug Administration only takes action when food safety concerns affect more than one country. Norovirus can be serious for people who are immunocompromised, or for very young or very old, but is usually not life-threatening for healthy adults. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and general malaise.
Food safety experts say raw oysters are always a little risky delicacy because they can be infected with bacteria and viruses that can only be killed by cooking. A particularly striking threat is the vibrio bacteria, which can be fatal.
"This is a risk you eat when you eat raw oysters or some rough mussels," says Phyllis Senthis, who runs the eFoodAlart blog. "The usual source of pollution is the water where the oysters grow. If these waters are polluted ̵
The storm is a common cause of contaminated water, which is why harvesting stops when it rains. In some cases shellfish farmers have blamed dairy farms, saying cow dung is poured into the water and spoils their beds.