If the meat is left on the counter too long, we all know we have to throw it away. But what about the rice or the macaroni?
Although this carby kindness may seem harmless after sitting on the bench for a while, you'll probably think twice about it after hearing about the bacterium Bacillus cereus . 19659003]
This is not a very rare germ. B. cereus will live happily wherever he can – soil, food or the gut.
"The known natural habitats of C. cereus are extensive, including soil, animals, insects, dust and plants," said Ancurry Matthur, biotechnology researcher at the Australian National University of Science. are multiplied by the use of nutrients from food [..] including rice, dairy products, spices, dried foods and vegetables. "
Some strains of this bacteria are useful for probiotics, but others can give you a nasty tide of food poisoning if they are allowed to grow and multiply ̵
In 2005, one such case was recorded in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology – Five children in one family get ill by eating four days of pasta salad.
According to the case, the pasta salad is being prepared on Friday, taken and a picnic on Saturday, and after returning from the picnic, it was stored in the fridge until Monday night when the children were fed for dinner, and the children started vomiting this morning and were taken to a hospital, tragically, the youngest child died; another was suffering from liver failure, but survived and the others had less severe food poisoning and could be treated with fluids B. cereus is a well-known cause of food-borne illness but infection with this organism is usually not reported due to the usual light symptoms Tommy, the researchers explain.
"A fatal case has been reported due to liver failure after consumption of a pasta salad showing the possible weight."
deaths are gravely rare, they have been written in the literature more than once. This week, the news highlighted another old case, published in 2011, for a 20-year-old student in Belgium who will prepare his food for this week – in this fateful case, he was spaghetti with tomato sauce. dough five days ago and it will warm up with the sauce. That day he accidentally left his food on the kitchen bench indefinitely. After diarrhea, abdominal pain and abundant vomiting, he died later that night.
In response to this study, there are two more cases of young people who have had liver failure and have died since B. cereus – 11-year-old who died after eating Chinese noodles and a 17-year-old who died after eating four-day spaghetti.
Now, before swallowing pasta for a lifetime, we need to emphasize that most people who get sick B. cereus do not end with hepatic failure. Normally this is a fairly mild case of food poisoning. It is important to note that B. cereus can cause severe and lethal conditions such as sepsis, immunocompromised people, infants, the elderly, and the affected individuals improve over time without any treatment. These individuals do not go to a doctor to get a diagnosis, "and so they have been reported.
How can it cause such severe food poisoning and is there anything we can do? has a bad habit of secreting dangerous toxins in the diet Some of these toxins are really hard to kill with the heat the regular microwave will deliver
For example, one of the toxins that causes vomiting in humans (called an emetic toxin ), can withstand 121 ° C (250 ° F) for 90 minutes. And this is not the only one "Our immune system recognizes a toxin [haemolysin BL] secreted by B. cereus which leads to an inflammatory response," explains Matthur.
"Our research shows that, that the toxin targets and breaks holes in the cell, causing cell death and inflammation. "
Her team also identifies two ways we can help the body neutralize the effect of hemolysin BL, thereby stopping the death march. Cereus . Methods include either blocking the activity of a toxin or reducing the inflammation caused by it.
Although their approach is still in the early stages of the study, the team hopes that these techniques can even be used in other bacteria that produce toxins. such as E. coli .
But most importantly, store your food in the fridge and practice good hygiene in the kitchen.
"It is important for people to wash their hands well and prepare food according to safety guidelines," says Mathur.
In addition, heating left food will properly destroy most bacteria and their toxins. "
The study is published in Nature Microbiology .