The two-year-old girl who was struck by a foul ball at Minute Maid Park on May 29 suffered a fracture skull and had a seizure, a spokesperson for the family said in a release released Wednesday.
The family has retained the attorney Richard Mithoff to advise on the incident, according to the release. No lawsuit has been filed, but Mithoff has detailed the injuries in a letter to the Houston Astros organization advising that he and family attorney Steve Polotko had been retained
"The Astros' risk management representative has reached out to the family, and now that the family is represented by a counsel, I wanted to let the other side know that I'm involved so they can get in touch with me, "Mithoff told the Houston Chronicle. According to the release, the child was hospitalized for several days, and her progress will be reassessed in July. The family has claimed privacy beyond that information, Mithoff said.
The incident brought further attention to the issue of expanding safety netting at ballparks. In the past week, Chicago White Sox, the Washington Nationals and Los Angeles Dodgers have announced plans to extend safety netting from a foul field to a foul field, with the Nationals saying the work will be done at their ballpark over the All-Star
According to a survey commissioned by ESPN last week, Major League Baseball fans supported the installation of more safety netting at ballparks by an overwhelming majority, 78 percent to 22 percent
The survey was commissioned after the incident in Houston. The girl was injured when she was struck by a foul ball off the bat of Cubs Outfielder Albert Almora Jr. during a game between Chicago and the Astros. On Sunday, a woman at Dodger Stadium was taken to a hospital for precautionary tests after being struck in the head by a foul ball.
Nationals pitcher Sean Doolittle was one of many players who called for baseball to address the issue after the incident in Houston, saying fans' safety should be a top priority.
"I'm glad the Washington Nationals have decided to lead the charge on this issue," Doolittle said. "Players want fans to be able to safely enjoy the game without fear of their safety."
Following the MLB's recommendations, by the start of the 2018 season all 30 teams had expanded their protective netting to In the beginning of this month, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, responding to the incident in Houston, said he did not expect teams to make changes to the netting around ballparks during the season, but said he expected conversations to continue on whether the netting would be extended