Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ US https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Federal buildings in Louisville close for a week while the city awaits state findings on Breona Taylor

Federal buildings in Louisville close for a week while the city awaits state findings on Breona Taylor

The U.S. District Court in Louisville, Kentucky, and at least one other federal building are closed for the week beginning Monday as the city waits for a possible announcement from the state’s attorney for Breona Taylor’s investigation.

Federal officials did not say why the courthouse and field office of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services are closing. But the Louisville Courier-Journal reported that a court official said the building was closing pending release.

The Federal Courthouse is not far from Central Park, which was a base for protests over Taylor̵

7;s death, according to the NBC WAVE branch in Louisville.

An order signed Friday by Chief Justice Greg Steevers said the U.S. Courthouse and Customs House Gene Snyder would be closed to the public from Sept. 21-25 at the request of the federal public services administration that runs the building.

“All questions scheduled to appear in court during this period will be continued or converted into videoconference proceedings, at the discretion of the presiding judge,” the order said.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Field Office will also be closed during this time. A statement on its website said the closure was “due to a court order”.

Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency technician, was shot and killed at her home on March 13 when police officers smashed her door with a hammer order, looking for evidence in a drug investigation. The target of the probe does not live in place.

Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired at the front door, hitting a police officer, according to police. Walker said he believed it was a domestic invasion. Officers opened fire, hitting Taylor five times.

Office of the Attorney General Daniel Cameron has been investigating the case since May and has been preparing to present evidence to a grand jury since last week, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Once the grand jury makes a decision, Cameron is expected to make a public announcement to share the investigative findings of his office and the grand jury’s decision on possible charges against the three officers who fired their weapons tonight.

One officer was fired for “extreme indifference to the value of human life” when he “senselessly and blindly fired ten rounds into Breona Taylor’s apartment,” according to his termination letter posted on Twitter to the Louisville Police Department.

The other two officers, who fired their weapons, were placed on administrative leave by the police department.

Cameron declined to give specific details about the state of the case and did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.

“Once the investigation is complete and a decision is made, we will provide up-to-date information for the release,” he said in a recent statement. “The news will come from our office, not from unnamed sources. So far, the investigation is ongoing.”

A grand jury of a dozen citizens sits in Louisville each month to decide whether to file charges of 15 to 20 cases a day. But the presentation of the Taylor case is expected to last several days, according to sources familiar with the matter.

To prosecute any of the three officers who fired on the night of Taylor’s death, nine jurors must decide that there is “enough” evidence to believe a crime was committed, according to a source. familiar with the process in Kentucky.

Local prosecutor Tom Wine withdrew from the case on May 22, handing it over to Cameron, who was appointed special prosecutor.

On Tuesday, Louisville Mayor Greg Fisher announced that the city had reached an agreement with the Taylor family worth $ 12 million for her murder.

He described Taylor’s death as a tragedy and noted that 186 days had passed since she was killed.

“Her death sparked a movement in Louisville, the country, for racial justice, sending thousands through our streets and cities across the country and around the world,” he said. “Everyone is shouting for justice for Breona.”

“While we await a decision by Attorney General Daniel Cameron on whether charges will be brought in this case, my administration is not waiting to continue with the necessary reforms to prevent a repeat of a tragedy like this,” Fischer said.

Source link