Cape Town – Although acknowledging that it is no longer the hot favorite to win the Grand Slams as it once was, Roger Federer insists that he is still confident in adding to his core lineup.
The 38-year-old did not win the Grand Slam after the Australian Open more than 18 months ago, though he was desperate to claim his Wimbledon ninth title earlier this summer.
And although he expects another difficult challenge at the US Open next week, he warned that it would be foolish to write him off.
"I know it's going to be difficult," Federer told the media in New York on Friday.
"I don't come as a superb favorite as maybe in 2006 or 2007. I'm very aware of how I should approach this tournament mentally.
"It will no doubt be a difficult tournament. I feel like I'm part of this group that can do it.
"What I'm proud of is that I've had a very consistent last year and a half since my back closed in Montreal [in 201
Federer has not played much since losing to Wimbledon's brilliant final by Novak Djokovic, but he is confident of that performance even though he didn't come out on top.
" I think winning Rafa [Nadal] in the division [Wimbledon] was great for me. Also, the finale, the way I played it, will give me some extra confidence, "he said.
Once again, the big three of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are overwhelming favorites to settle the title between them, and Federer is
"Yes, it looks like the same guys are the favorites this time around, too," he added. "
" It would be a surprise if anyone other than the boys wins, that I said. "