After Fox News confirmed key parts of the bombing, in which advisers close to President Donald Trump revealed to The Atlantic that he had called US military heroes killed in battle “losers” and “shoots” leading Lou Dobbs and Laura Ingraham on Tuesday attacked a report by their own corporation.
Dobbs of Fox Business and Ingram of Fox News attacked the “fake” report, calling it a “coordinated attack”, “media work” and “blurring”, both of which falsely claimed to be “debunked”. , “although Fox News correspondent Jennifer Griffin – citing two anonymous former senior officials in the administration – also independently confirmed a number of pillars in the story.
Trump later called on Fox News to fire Griffin, posting on Twitter a message from Breitbart stating that she had not confirmed the “sweetest”
“Everything refuted by many witnesses. Jennifer Griffin should be fired for this kind of report. She never even called us for comment. @FoxNews is gone!” wrote the president.
“Perhaps more intriguing than the false details of the story is the level of coordination demonstrated among left-wing national media, big technology, Republican RINO, the Radical Democrats and Biden’s campaign,” Dobbs said when he called the reports “a media hit.” “
The Fox Business presenter said the story “falls apart under the most basic fact-checks and is easily refuted by documented evidence and more than a dozen public sources in the administration”, before criticizing Facebook and Twitter for not applying a verification label. of facts to the report.
Dobbs then called on his own corporation to join the plenary outlets, which also independently confirmed the main allegations in the Atlantic report.
“The Associated Press claims to have confirmed the story in full, but then had no evidence to support it – not a single source of the same name. And the Washington Post, CNN, even Fox News claim to have confirmed parts of the report, although every information organization does not have a single source or any evidence, “Dobbs said. “What these unnamed sources have said does not contradict the 21 Trump administration officials who are now on the record, refuting the terrible, horrible lies of the Atlantic.”
Some Fox News broadcasters initially withdrew from the Atlantic because they relied entirely on anonymous sources. John Roberts, the network’s chief White House correspondent, questioned some of the allegations, citing his anonymous sources in a joint report co-authored with Griffin.
After Trump called for Griffin’s dismissal, many journalists from the corporation’s “news” sided with her, while “opinion” leaders such as Dobbs and Ingraham continued to break the story. Without offering any evidence, Dobbs went so far as to claim that the allegations were a “lie” in support of Biden’s campaign.
“By inciting the lie that President Trump said something disparaging about our military, left-wing national media has given Biden’s campaign a chance to ignore the fact that Biden enthusiastically supports the war in Iraq – something President Trump has openly opposed and that most Americans now take it as a terrible mistake, “Dobbs said, falsely describing Trump’s position on Iraq, which he once expressed support for.
Later that night, Ingraham repeated her analysis, as she also claimed that the story had been “debunked”.
But that’s why Biden tried to take advantage of Atlantic magazine’s already exposed slander against the president, despite the fact that the most inflammatory lawsuits in this piece have been denied by at least 21 current or former administration sources – in the minutes of the way, ”she said.
Jeffrey Goldberg, editor-in-chief of the Atlantic Ocean as well as the original reporter for the story, told MSNBC host Chris Hayes on Monday a number of reasons officials may seek to keep their names from incendiary messages about Trump.
“I share this view that it is not good enough. But you know, like other reporters, I always balance moral ambiguities and complications after anonymous sources with the public’s right to know,” Goldberg said.
“On the other hand, you are talking about a president who is different from anything they have ever experienced,” he added. “I think there is fear. I think – and we see this everywhere in Donald Trump’s Washington – there is fear on some superficial level of the crowd on Twitter. There is also a real fear of personal safety, fear for your family, fear of it, in which you have subjected everyone around you if you start talking about such things. “
Goldberg said it was “reasonable” for readers to wonder about the power of anonymous sources. At the same time, he seems to be challenging these sources.
It is understandable to “ask why people who have been directly exposed to Donald Trump, who know what Donald Trump said, who know what Donald Trump did, but will not just go out and say it,” he said.
Although no employee recorded the record to confirm the report, some of those who put their names behind the denials, either presented themselves as witnesses to the character without direct knowledge, or – like Sarah Huckabee Sanders – formulated carefully these refusals and closely.
Asked by The View about Trump’s alleged remarks to former chief of staff John Kelly – whom Trump said was standing over Kelly’s son’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery, he didn’t understand “what’s up with them” – Sanders said only she was not nearby.
“I didn’t stand by the president for that, no,” said the former Trump spokesman. (She also declined to comment on alleged humiliating comments about the late John McCain by the daughter of former Senator Megan.)
Like Sanders, who praised what she described as Trump’s “respect and admiration” for the military, Dobbs, who was called the president’s outside adviser, continued to change the scenario.
“President Trump’s actions and the show of respect for the military speak for themselves,” he said. “Shame on the left. Shame on the radical Dems. And shame on the fake news and the fake journalists who produce it.”