Raise your hand if this has happened to you. You have 20 tabs open, and one of them seems to be playing music or playing video. You drive yourself crazy by clicking around to find out who you are and now you start to get angry. Fortunately, Google has a new Chrome desktop button that lets you pause (and play) music and videos from the tab you're currently on without having to go through the nightmare first find the culprit.
Button is handy for those who usually have multiple tabs open, your computer grows larger and you need to quickly turn off the music.
The new function is still in the experimental phase, so it may function differently after it is officially released. Here's how it works and how to test it.
Make this Chrome update first
Make sure you have the latest update on your desktop, Chrome 77. If you know you already have one, scroll to the next section.
1. In your Chrome browser, select the three ordered dots in the upper right corner.
2. Hover over Help and select About Google Chrome . If it says Google Chrome is up to date, you can skip this section.
3. Click Restart . Make sure you keep everything you do because it will restart your Chrome tabs.
You now have the latest version of Chrome and you can go to the next step.
Pause / Play Button Activation
1. Open a Chrome browser and search for chrome: // flags / in the address bar.
2. In the Search flags search Global Media Controls box.
3. In the drop-down box on the right, select Enabled .
4. Click Restart Now . Make sure you keep everything as this will restart your browser.
5. Now you will see a button Playing in the toolbar. Use this to start and stop the sound.
It's time to try it
1. Go to a site like YouTube or Spotify Web Player in your browser and select a song or video to play.
2. When you are ready to pause, click the Play button in the toolbar.
3. A box will appear in which you will see the current video or song playback. Click the Pause button .
4. Click the Play button to continue listening. There is also Fast Forward and Rewind .
This is it! You can now easily pause and play videos from each tab.
Looking for more tips from Google? Check out this gimmick in Gmail that doesn't allow spammers to track you. Plus, this is Google's newest way to help you find your photos, and Google Maps guides you through gaslines times better.
Originally published earlier this week.