With a little help from an inhaler, Greg Hardy earned his third UFC victory on Friday night – until it disappeared.
The heavyweight contestant was comfortably defeating Ben Sosolli at ESPN 6's UFC with the main battle at the Boston TD Garden. But he also noticeably slowed down and breathed heavily at the end of the second round.
In between rounds Hardy (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) took a blow from an inhaler. He then came out and finished third, initially being awarded a unanimous decision on scores of 30-27 across the board. That result, however, was reversed and later adjudicated without competition by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission for the use of a Hardy inhaler.
"I was in the ring. Me and my coach asked the committee if it would be okay to use my inhaler and they said yes, so I took it, ”Hardy said. "I'm still a new person in the sport. I did what I did in every situation: I asked for permission. I got permission and did what I was told. ”
According to Yahoo! Kevin Yeol Sports & # 39; UFC President Dana White said inhaler use has been approved, but ultimately not.
Hardy showed improved kicks, footwork and stride for 15 minutes. He landed clear strokes every time his younger foe was hammered, and he sang Sosoli (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) with kicks during the match.
Salt, who, unlike some of Hardy's previous enemies, did not seem intimidated, landing at times with heavy hands, but never succeeded in abducting any lasting crime.
This is Hardy's second controversial result in the UFC. In his promotional debut in January, Hardy was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee in a fight with Alan Crowder.
UFC Results Up to 6 Minutes at ESPN 6 Include:
- Greg Hardy def. Ben Sosolli with unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joe Lauzon def. Jonathan Pierce via TKO (hit) – Round 1, 1:33
- Macy Barber def. Jillian Robertson via TKO (punches and elbows – Round 1, 3:04
- Darren Stewart def. Deron Win via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charles Rosa def. Mani Bermudez via presentation (arm.) – 1st round, 2:46
- Molly McCann defan Diana Belbita with unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Sean Woodson, defender Kyle Bohnak with unanimous decision (30 -26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Allen to Reverend Kevin Holland by Submission (Rear Goal Throttle) – Round 2, 3:38
- Sean Brady Def. McGee by unanimous decision (29-28 , 30-27, 30-27)
- Randy Costa def. Boston Salmon TKO (hit) – Round 1, 2:15
- Taner B Sir def. Daniel Spitz by unanimous decision (30-27, 30- 27, 30-27)  UFC on ESPN 6: Official indicators of Boston  see 11 images