A man in Texas is suing the company for the lifestyle of Gwyneth Paltrow Goop Inc. because of a candle with the scent of the vagina, which he said “exploded” and became “enveloped in a strong flame” after burning for several hours.
In a class action lawsuit filed Monday, Colby Watson said he bought a $ 75 candle called “It Smells Like My Vagina” from Goop’s website in January. Watson said he lit the candle for the first time on his nightstand in February, when it was alleged that it “exploded” and was “engulfed in a strong flame” after burning for about three hours, the court document said. .
A vaginal scented candle warning advises users not to burn it for more than two hours, according to a list on Goop̵
Watson acknowledged the “limited warning” on the company’s lifestyle website, but said Goop “knew the candles were defective,” according to the lawsuit. He added that the flame had left a “black burning ring” on his nightstand and that the jar containing the candle was already “charred and black”.
No injuries were reported in the complaint.
“We are convinced that this statement is frivolous and is an attempt to ensure a large payment for a product that is difficult for the press. “We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell,” a Goop spokesman told NBC News on Tuesday.
“Here, Heretic – the brand that supplies the candle – justifies the product’s performance and safety by testing industry standards,” the spokesman said.
Watson’s lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.
Here, too, the Heretic did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The company was not named as a defendant in the case.
Watson is seeking a lawsuit and triple damages, as well as punitive damages of more than $ 5 million for him and others who “through no fault of their own bought defective and dangerous vaginal scented candles,” according to the complaint.
The lawsuit comes after a woman announced in January that her candle of the same model had also exploded and been lit.
Jodie Thompson of the United Kingdom wrote in an essay published in The Guardian in March that her candle exploded “minutes after” the ignition.
“The flames roared half a meter from the jar and pieces of melted wax flew out as he hissed and spat,” she wrote. “Fortunately, I had placed it on concrete, at the base of the former fireplace.”
Thompson did not report any injuries, but she described the candle jar as “charred” and said the label was “melted.” It was not clear if Thompson was considering any legal action, but she wrote that a Goop spokesman offered to send more of his products.
A Goop spokesman told People at the time: “We are in touch with the woman to see if she has followed the specific fire safety instructions included in the candle, such as trimming the wick and not burning it for more than two hours. At goop, we check the products we sell and make customer safety a priority, so we alerted the manufacturer to the woman’s problem and also approached her to send her some products to help quarantine her days. “
This is not the first time Goop has encountered problems with its products.
The company has been criticized for its dubious health benefits, including advertising that falsely claims that its jade and quartz “egg” products can be used to maintain vaginal health. In 2018, Goop agreed to pay $ 145,000 in civil sanctions in a California agreement because the claims were deemed “unfounded.”
“This agreement does not show any responsibility on the part of Goop,” said Heather Wilson, a spokesman for Goop. “The company has not received any complaints regarding these product claims.”