Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Hong Kong protests: Police officer shoots arrow during siege of university

Hong Kong protests: Police officer shoots arrow during siege of university

Hundreds of protesters with bricks, gas bombs and makeshift barricades have been holding up riots by police on roads surrounding the campus in Hong Kong's metropolitan area, just opposite the port of Hong Kong from Victoria. Authorities responded with tear gas and water cannons in skirmishes that flared up Sunday afternoon.

As violence escalated in recent days, protesters began using bows and arrows against police and authorities said a media liaison officer had been hit. leg with an arrow during a shootout on Sunday afternoon.

He was conscious and sent to a hospital for treatment, according to a police statement.

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is just one of a number of university campuses used last week as a unifying point for the Hong Kong protest movement.

But unlike other campuses such as Hong Kong University of China, Polytechnic University sits in the city center, near a number of major roads, including the Cross Tunnel Crossing.

Protesters blocked these roads last week, seriously disrupting the city's public transportation system.

Protests in Hong Kong have now raged for almost six months after they began in June over a controversial extradition bill in China that has caused huge marches in the city.

When the government stopped but did not withdraw the bill, the focus of the movement quickly expanded to focus on complaints of police brutality and broader calls for democracy.

The protests turned. early November following the protest death of a 22-year-old student, the first since the demonstrations began. Protesters began to strengthen university campuses across the city, arresting police with weapons ranging from bows and arrows and petrol bombs.

On Saturday night, police tried to clear roads around Polytechnic University but were forced to retreat after protesters started fires on

  A protestor responded to tear gas fired by police at Hong Kong Polytechnic University on Sunday.

"They showed complete disregard for the safety of everyone on the ground," a police statement said on Sunday, confirming that they were trying to disperse the group with tears [19659002] 23-year-old protesters and alumni of the Polytechnic University told CNN that they had no plan and were just waiting to see how the police would respond. "If we don't go out, nobody will go out and defend our freedoms. The Polytechnic University is my home," he said.

On Sunday, the government announced that all schools would be closed on Monday as protests were expected.

Protests escalate

Both the government and protesters refuse to back down, there is no immediate end to the demonstrations in Hong Kong.

Showing his dissatisfaction with the situation, Chinese President Xi Jinping made rare public comments during Thursday's demonstrations.

He stated that "radical" protesters had traced the rule of law, and that "ending violence and restoring order" was, in Hong Kong, "the most urgent task."

  A protester responds to tear gas fired by police at Hong Kong Polytechnic University on Sunday.

It was only hours before a 70-year-old man who was struck by a brick during clashes between protesters and their opponents died from his injuries. Police have accused protesters of throwing the object that killed him.

For the first time since the start of the June demonstrations, the Chinese People's Liberation Army hit the streets of Hong Kong on Saturday, but only to clear barricades and debris. [19659008] Even this invasion was enough to stimulate Democratic MPs in Hong Kong to demand an explanation from the city government.

The efforts of Chinese soldiers to clear roadblocks outside their barracks in Kowloon Tong were "a purely voluntary initiative by the community in itself," the Hong Kong SAR government said in a statement to CNN.

Source link