While looking for new and interesting wallpapers for my Apple Watch, I came across a post on Reddit showing Apple Watch wallpapers created by GIF – and I just had to create some of my own. Mostly because a) Apple's download time wallpapers are a little boring, and b) The live pictures I take with my phone aren't as interesting as some of the bug arts you can find online.
The process is very simple – you basically convert GIFs to Live Photo. It takes several steps to get it working exactly as it should. Bring with me. I promise it's worth it
- Go to the Apple Store and download an application that lets you convert GIFs to Live Photos. You can use a popular application like Giphy, which not only has many GIFs available, but now also has a built-in option to save your GIFs as Live Photos. Of course, you can also use your favorite GIF app.
- Find the GIF or live photo you want to use as your Apple Watch wallpaper and save it in your Photos app.
- After saving the photo, go to your Photo Library, select your just saved live photo and click "Edit" in the upper right corner.
- Take the last Live Photo shot of your key photo.
- Go to the Watch app on your iPhone to create a new clock based on a photo.
- Select the second section called "Face Gallery", then scroll down until you reach the "Photos" section. Under Content, select Photos. This will allow you to select a specific photo instead of an entire album. Select the live photo you want there.
- Finally, add the watch to your watch and try it.
Note that if the animation does not work properly, it probably means that the animation is too long. In this case, you can easily trim it using your favorite editing application.
Also, keep in mind that some GIFs will work better than others. For example, while playing around, I found that Live Photos, which has 42 frames, and GIFs with much more movement, such as fireworks or flashes, all worked better for me.
And that is all. Enjoy!
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. They do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our Ethics Policy .