A man from Alabama said he almost died after feeding meat-eating bacteria while on a beach trip. Every year he travels to the beach in Panama, but five days later he experiences flu-like symptoms. Initial diagnoses were kidney infection – until his leg became purple
. He entered a small scratch under the man's knee while he was in the water. ocean. "Skin is the most important barrier to body infection," said Dr. Andrew Sawyer. "Any disruption of this skin, even something as small as scratch, has the potential to increase the potential for water contamination."
20th July 2019
Meredith said he wants to warn people to be careful. , they really have to be really cautious before entering the sand or the water, "he said. "I never thought this would happen to me." (CDC)
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), necrotizing fasciitis is a rare bacterial infection that spreads rapidly in the body and can cause death. antibiotic treatment and rapid surgical intervention are important for stopping this infection. Immediately contact a doctor if you have a fever, dizziness or nausea soon after injury or surgery, "she said. Symptoms include a red or swollen area of the skin that spreads rapidly, fever and severe pain, including pain beyond the area of the skin that is red or swollen.
"Necrotizing fasciitis is a very serious illness that requires care in a hospital. Antibiotics and surgery are usually the first lines of protection if the doctor suspects that the patient has necrotizing fasciitis. Because necrotizing fasciitis can spread so quickly, patients often have to perform surgery very quickly. Doctors also give antibiotics via a needle in a vein (IV antibiotics) to try to stop the infection, "said CDC. and reduced blood flow. When this happens, doctors need to surgically remove dead tissues. It is not uncommon for someone with necrotizing fasciitis to need multiple operations. In serious cases, the patient may need a transfusion. Streptococcus pyogenes (Group A Streptococcus) of Gram staining.
In addition to the cases in Florida, Texas, Alabama, people have recently negotiated carnivorous bacteria in Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.
the water that remains hot, especially above 55 degrees, something like that could potentially happen, "said Dr. Jessica Drake, an AdventHealth treating physician, during the WLOS.
"Although there is some panic now because we see it in places we have not been before, it's still very rare," Drake said. "The great thing is not to get into water bodies that are warm if you have a big open wound."
The CDC said there are between 700 and 1
when a father of six died after he went to raciate and infect the bacteria.