The girl contracted a flesh-eating bacteria from the warm Gulf of Mexico waters through a tiny scratch on her toe , reported WXYN.
Michelle Brown and her 12-year-old daughter Kyle are thankful to be sitting on their Mooresville patio.
"It's just so hard to see friends and family, you know, on the beach having fun, because we were there doing the same thing and I almost lost her," said Kyle's mom Michelle
Earlier this month, the family was vacationing in Destin, Florida when Kyle began to feel pain in her leg. When they got back to Indiana, the pain turned into swelling and then a fever.
Kyle was taken to the E.R.
"Kylei has contracted a rare bacterial infection called necrotizing fasciitis, an aggressive, life-threatening, threatening infection that kills one out of every three people who get it
"If it was not for their quick responses and aggressive treatments, I would not have it," said Michelle.
On her trip to the beach, Kylei stuck her toes in the water just days after scuffing her toe on a skateboard
"It started from a spot on her toe, a scuff on "
Finally back home, Kylei still has a needle in her arm for antibiotics
Her leg is still wrapped and she's starting therapy to walk
I have told my mom several times I just want to be normal again, like, with my leg, "K
As they begin their long road to recovery, Michelle wants other families to know the dangers and signs so other family vacations to the beach do not end in tragedy.