Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the United States had been defeated in its “economic war” against his country, saying sanctions were on the verge of termination. Meanwhile, a senior official in the presidential administration, Joe Biden, reiterated that “there is still no deal” and that negotiations between the two countries are ongoing.
During his presidential campaign, Biden promised to work for the return of the United States and Iran in accordance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action – commonly known as the Iranian nuclear deal – approved by former Democratic President Barack Obama. In 2016, Trump campaigned against the international agreement, withdrawing the United States from the treaty in 201
“With the defeat of the enemy in the economic war and the sanctions approaching the brink of cessation, given the recent [JCPOA] there are negotiations, there are hopes that the country’s economy will return in the course of equilibrium and boom from 2014 to 2017, “Rouhani said at a Sunday meeting, according to the Iranian agency Tasnim.
While the Iranian president speculated that his country was on the verge of reaching the top in ongoing talks, the Biden administration said there was “no deal” at the moment.
“There is no deal now,” Biden’s national security adviser Jake Sullivan told ABC News. This week.
“There is still enough distance to bridge the remaining gaps, and those gaps go beyond the sanctions that the United States and other countries will lift,” Sullivan continued. “They are above the nuclear restrictions that Iran will adopt for its program to ensure that they will never be able to obtain nuclear weapons.”
The JCPOA, which was introduced in 2016, was initially approved by the Obama administration – while Biden was vice president – in coordination with the European Union, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, China and Russia. The deal offers Iran international investment and easing sanctions in exchange for the Gulf nation limiting its nuclear program. Although United Nations nuclear oversight has consistently confirmed that Iran remains in compliance with the treaty, Trump withdrew from the agreement in 2018 and reintroduced financial sanctions against the country.
Trump’s hostility to the international deal has angered European allies, who have continued to see the JCPOA as the best way to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon. In an attempt to show good faith, Iran remained in line with the deal for a year after the resumption of US sanctions. The country then began to gradually back down from its commitments until early 2020, when it said it would no longer comply with JCPOA restrictions unless the United States returned to compliance.
Newsweek turned to the State Department for comment, but did not receive an immediate response.