NEW LONDON, CT – done. Get out tonight and don't worry, public health officials said Thursday.
In a press release, the Chatham, Ledge Light and Uncas Health Districts, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, the Connecticut Department of Public Health and the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment announced they no longer recommend restrictions for outdoor activities,
"The risk of mosquito-borne equine encephalitis transmission has been determined to be significantly reduced; a month has passed since southeast Connecticut was caught in mosquitoes infected with EEE," Declaration by Mr asi.
"Based on this information, we no longer recommend any restrictions on outdoor activities," reads a statement from a consortium of public health officials.
New London Mayor Michael Pasero overturned city-wide city-wide restriction ̵
Ledyard Mayor Fred Alin III took to Facebook, sharing a mosquito photo, saying, "This is the last time you will see our EEE mosquito here this year! "
Effective immediately, Ledgelight and DPH repealed the recommendation to avoid dusk and dawn by the end of this fall. It is still assumed to be long sleeves and bug spray, but the mosquito population appears to be severely reduced "a very good thing," he remarked.
EEE Kills People in Connecticut
What started this summer is the ubiquitous threat of a deadly virus that has claimed life.
On October 1, state health officials confirmed that an East Hadam resident was the third Connecticut resident to die from EEE. And at that time, the CDC also confirmed that EEE was the cause of the disease for a Colchester resident who became ill in the third week of August and remained hospitalized. East Lyme resident and Old Lyme resident dying as a result of the virus.
The public health epidemiologist called it "an unprecedented year for EEE activity in Connecticut." So far, there was only one human case of EEE in Connecticut, and that was in 2013.
The same employee said that people who were killed, all from eastern Connecticut were most likely exposed to mosquitoes sometime between August 11, 2019 and September 8, 2019. He said earlier "EEE activity was not a problem before this summer."
earlier this month Patch spoke with Dr. Theodore Andreadis of the Center for Agricultural Experiment in CT. who said this year the "big hearth" could be mitigated next year with additional funding to increase the mosquito monitoring program.
With the trap, he said, there are "very few surprises: we can almost always detect the virus." But this year was "unusual because we did not have a presence in the area," he said, referring to areas near Limes, Monville, Salem and Colchester.
He said that CAES "wants to increase its tests and trap program and add new locations" and will ask the manager "for more funding to increase the trap. "
He said then the areas in and around Lymes were suspicious. The first reported death is the death of Patrick Shaw of East Lyme, who is 77.
Not completely out of the woods until the first severe frost
Health officials offer a cautious statement: "Although the risk of transmitting EEE will not be eliminated until we experience severe cold, the likelihood of human contamination is extremely low."
Residents should continue to use personal precautions, including the use of EPA-approved n insect repellent and wearing long sleeves and pants if spending significant time outdoors. Residents should also avoid hiking or camping in marshy areas until the first strong frost occurs.