The Kurdish military leader serving as Syrian Democratic Forces commander revealed to Fox News' Jennifer Griffin in a telephone interview Sunday from his base in Syria that Turkey's military has "violated" the planned cease-fire and committed "ethnic cleansing" ”In the northern city of Afrin.
Speaking through a translator, Gen. Mazloum Abdi said he was "deeply disappointed" in President Trump over U.S. withdrawal troops in northern Syria, and claimed still time for the U.S.
He said the "ethnic cleansing" was continuing, confirming fears from Kurdish civilians in the region.
Mazloum told Griffin there were more than 500 civilian casualties and over 400,000. Kurds displaced.
He added that despite the Turkish onslaught, the Kurds were still guarding Islamic State prisoners, and he insisted his forces would rather still work with the U.S. than fight it alone.
His requests to Trump: Keep U.S.
Mazloum also said he believed Erdoğan "passed some wrong information" to Trump. The general accused of the Turks spying on Kurdish positions while on joint patrols with the U.S.S. forces in the region. "They came with cheat and deceit." a man holding a sign reading: "Thanks to US People but Trump Betrayed Us."
Trump ordered this month a bulk of about 1,000 US troops in Syria to withdraw after officials said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan made it clear in a phone call that his forces were about to invade Syria to push back Kurdish forces. Turkey has considered many of the Kurdish fighters to be terrorists.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Between 200 and 300 U.S.
Last week, Trump sent a letter to Erdoğan encouraging him to “work out a good deal,” threatening to “destroy” the troops. Turkish economy if it continued its aggression against the Kurds.