DenmarkThe Covid mink mutation has “most likely” been removed, AFP reported, citing the Danish Ministry of Health.
AFP did not provide details. We will provide more details when available.
The obvious breakthrough comes after seven countries reported coronavirus mutations associated with mink in humans.
The mutations have been identified as variants of the Covid-19 mink, as they have been repeatedly found in mink and now in humans.
Uncertainty over the effects of the discovery of a variant of the Covid-19 mink in humans prompted Denmark, the world’s largest producer of mink fur, to begin destruction across the country earlier this month.
The expulsion was sparked by a study by the Danish public health authority, the Statens Serum Institut (SSI), which showed that a variant of mink called C5 was more difficult for antibodies to neutralize and posed a potential threat to the vaccine’s effectiveness.
Summary of recent updates
• To Iran The death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak has risen to 43,418, with 476 killed in the past 24 hours, the health ministry said, adding that the total number of infections had reached 815,117 in the worst-hit country in the Middle East.
• Poland announced a new daily high of 637 coronavirus-related deaths on Thursday, according to the health ministry’s Twitter account. 23,975 new cases were reported on Thursday, the health ministry said.
• The number of new infections with Covid-19 in Germany it is still too high and is causing a serious pandemic situation, Lothar Wheeler, head of the Robert Koch Institute of Infectious Diseases (RKI), said on Thursday. The head of the RKI monitoring unit, Ute Rexroth, added that there were indications that Germany’s new distancing measures were working as the number of new infections stabilized.
• Japan is on “maximum alert” after registering a record number of daily coronavirus infections, his prime minister said on Thursday, although no immediate restrictions are planned. The comments came as Tokyo raised its alert level to the top of its four-tier system, with local media saying the capital would report a record number of infections for the second day in a row.
• Russia on Thursday, it surpassed 2 million coronavirus cases after reporting an additional 23,610 infections and 463 Covid-19-related deaths, both record daily increases. Russia ranks fifth in the number of reported infections, with 2,015,608, behind the United States, India, Brazil and France. The official death toll in Russia is now 34,850.
Locks in Europe can be avoided if 95% wear masks, says WHO chief
Hello everyone. I am currently running the Guardian’s global coronavirus blog, presenting you with all the latest updates from around the world on the spread of the virus. Please keep in touch with me while I work to share thoughts, comments or news tips.