Charlotte, North Carolina – A man has been charged after surveillance video showed him scattering a Korean store Tuesday afternoon in downtown Charlotte
The incident happened around 3:30 pm in Plaza Sundries on the shopping street in Charlotte’s downtown.
The business owners are Korean and have been in business for about 20 years. Their son, Mark Sun, told Channel 9 that there was no doubt in his family̵
Video from the surveillance camera of the store shows that 24-year-old Xavier Woody Silas enters the store and immediately removes the trunk with goods. He then picks up a metal bar and swings it around the store, hitting shelves and drinking machines.
(Watch the video to watch the attack below)
Security officials at the transit center called police, who arrested Silas. During the riot, the owners and customers were inside, but were not injured.
According to Sung, this is not the first time that his family’s history has been vandalized.
“On average, we are around one of these incidents a year,” he said. “This year came a little earlier, I guess.”
Sun told veteran Channel 9 reporter Mark Becker that he believed a man whose family had been banned from the store had hired Silas to drop the store in retaliation.
He said Silas shouted racial slander during the attack.
“While he was doing this, he was like saying racial blasphemies, cursing us, threatening us. And the man we banned finally entered the store, cheered him up, and shouted, “Here’s what you get! That’s what you get! Return to your country! “, Said Sun.
After taking a day to clean up the mess, Sun said his parents reopened the store. He told Channel 9 that he had given up hope that the hatred would disappear.
“This whole racism thing isn’t just going to go away,” he said. “It has existed for centuries.”
Silas was arrested, but has since been released. He has been charged with several counts, including damage to personal property, communication with threats and hooliganism. Officials said police were also prosecuting a possible charge of ethnic intimidation for crimes under the North Carolina Hate Crimes Act, at least in part based on allegations made before a store employee.
GoFundMe, which began helping Sun’s family repair their store, has raised more than $ 17,000. You can donate here.
Charlotte’s transit system sent the following statement to Channel 9:
“On March 30, 2021, there was an incident of violence in Plaza Sundries in the Charlotte Transportation Center (CTC), causing great damage to businesses. The suspect involved in the incident, Mr Xavier Rashee Woody-Silas, was immediately arrested by G4S police and charged with the following charges:
- Damage to personal property – for the alleged large property damage to the business
- Robbery with a dangerous weapon – for alleged use of a street sign pole as a weapon to cause serious material damage while taking the store product free of charge
- Reporting threats – for allegedly making verbal threats to police officers in response to the incident
- Criminal theft – for alleged taking of a shop (energy drink) during the act of causing serious property damage
- Misconduct – for screaming and swearing, as well as for physical and verbal violence against police officers
- Resistance, delay and obstruction – for alleged physical resistance of police officers trying to detain the site
In addition, CATS understands that police are prosecuting a potential charge of ethnic intimidation for offenses (under the North Carolina Hate Crimes Act), at least in part based on allegations made to a store employee.
The suspect is also banned from all CATS facilities and services.
CATS has confirmed that G4S has increased the presence of employees at CTC. CATS strongly condemns any act of racism or violence and will continue to prioritize the safety of all. “