Those lucky enough on Tuesday night have a chance to win a jackpot of about $ 625 million in the Mega Millions lottery, the eighth largest jackpot in US history. Generosity has reached such heights because there has been no winner for months.
If there is no winner again, the jackpot will only go higher for the next draw on Friday night.
Each ticket costs $ 2 and the winners must match all numbers, including Mega Ball, to take home the full amount.
The one-time jackpot money option on Tuesday was at least $ 458 million. Taking the cash value of the one-time jackpot payment is an option preferred by most winners. Otherwise, the jackpot has been handed out for more than 30 years.
Mega millions of winning numbers
- Mega ball: 9
- Megaplier: 2x
Mega Millions tickets are sold in 44 states, Washington, USA and Virgin Islands.
Meanwhile, the Powerball lottery jackpot swelled to about $ 550 million, the 12th largest jackpot in the game’s history. The winning numbers will be drawn on Wednesday night.
Even with the two jackpots combined, they still pale in comparison to the biggest prize, andwon by three players in 2016. The Mega Millions jackpot was last won in Wisconsin on September 15, 2020, when one winner secured a $ 120 million ticket. The game was won five times last year, with a $ 414 million jackpot in June being the biggest prize, according to officials.
The odds of winning the jackpot are small at 1 in 302.5 million for Mega Millions and 1 in 292.2 million for Powerball.
Below are the 10 biggest jackpots in Mega Millions, as well as where the tickets were purchased:
- $ 1.54 billion – one winning ticket in South Carolina (October 2018)
- $ 656 million – three winning tickets to Illinois, Kansas and Maryland (March 2012)
- $ 648 million – two winning tickets to California and Georgia (December 2013)
- $ 615 million – no winners known (January 2021)
- $ 543 million – one winning ticket in California (July 2018)
- $ 536 million – one winning ticket to Indiana (July 2016)
- $ 533 million – one winning ticket to New Jersey (March 2018)
- $ 522 million – one winning ticket to California (June 2019)
- $ 451 million – one winning ticket in Florida (January 2018)
- $ 437 million – one winning ticket in New York (January 2019)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.