LOS ANGELES – Megan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, lost the final round of her ongoing legal battle with Britain’s Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), publishers of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.
Markle is suing the group for privacy and copyright infringement after Mail on Sunday published excerpts from a 2018 letter sent to her father, Thomas Markle Sr.
Last week, the ANL asked the court to change its defense and use the recently published book “Finding Freedom” by American journalists Omid Scoby and Carolyn Durand, claiming that Markle had passed information to the authors.
On Tuesday, Judge Francesca Kay allowed the ANL defense to use the book and denied Markle permission to appeal the decision. Markle’s lawyers have the opportunity to take Kaye’s decision to the Court of Appeal. Kay said Scoby denied in a statement to the court that there was any cooperation from Markle in the book.
“It may not be said, not what he says is important in the process,” Kay said, citing Scoby’s statement. “If, as supposed, everything is a house of cards, it will quickly fall to the test.”
The case is due to go into trial in January 2021.
Markle and her husband Prince Harry remain on the news. On Monday, a spokesman for the couple denied a report in the British tabloid The Sun, which suggested that they would participate in the reality show “Fly on the Wall”.