President Donald Trump, Melania Trump and Chris Christie are on the current list of people who have been tested for COVID-1
Melania Trump said Wednesday that after an initial negative test, 14-year-old Baron Trump tested positive for COVID-19.
“It was two weeks ago when I received the diagnosis that so many Americans in our country and around the world had already received – I took a test for COVID-19,” the first lady said in a statement. “To make matters worse, my husband and our nation’s commander-in-chief received the same news.”
She continued, “Naturally, my mind immediately went to our son. To our great relief, he was negative, but again, since so many parents have been thinking for the last few months, I couldn’t help but think, ‘What about tomorrow or the next day?’ “
My fear came true when it was tested again and came out positive. Fortunately, he is a strong teenager and shows no symptoms. In a way, I was glad that the three of us went through this at the same time so that we could take care of each other and spend time together. He has been tested negative ever since. “
Stephanie Grisham, chief of staff and spokeswoman for the first lady, told USA TODAY on October 2 that Barron “had taken a negative test and all precautions had been taken to ensure he was safe and healthy.”
Before leaving for an election rally in Des Moines on Wednesday, President Donald Trump told reporters in the White House’s South Lawn that Barron was doing “well.”
The president was released from Walter Reed National Medical Center on Monday, four days after he and Melania tested positive for COVID-19. Trump tested negative for COVID-19 on “consecutive days,” White House physician Sean Conley said in a note released Monday. The first lady said on Wednesday that she, too, has had a negative test ever since.
At least 20 people, including senior administration officials, have tested positive since Trump announced his positive results on October 2. Many attended Judge Amy Connie Barrett’s nomination ceremony on Sept. 26 at the White House Rose Garden, where few people wore masks.
More ▼: More than two dozen administrative staff, associates and others have yielded positive results
The private school of Barron, Bishop of St. Andrei, the “gradual transition to hybrid learning” had to begin this week.
Asked in July about sending his son and grandchildren to school, Trump said he would be “comfortable.” At the time, White House councilor Kelian Conway said it would be a “personal decision” by the president and first lady.
The first lady also described in detail her experience with the virus on Wednesday, saying that although she had “minimal” symptoms, a “roller coaster” hit her “all at once” in the days after her diagnosis.
“I was experiencing body aches, coughs and headaches and felt extremely tired most of the time. I chose to take a more natural path in terms of medicine, preferring more for vitamins and healthy food,” she said.
The first lady said her recovery gave her time to “think.”
“When my husband was taken to Walter Reed as a precaution, I spent much of my time thinking about my family. I also thought about the hundreds of thousands of people in our country who have been affected by this disease that infects people without discrimination.” she said.
Melania also thanks the staff who raised her for health. “It was an unfamiliar feeling for me to be a patient, instead of a person trying to encourage our nation to stay healthy and safe. I am now being cared for and gaining first-hand experience with everything COVID-19 can do, ” she said.
“To the medical staff and the staff who take care of our family – thank you for not saying enough,” she added.
Read or share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/10/14/melania-trump-says-son-barron-trump-tested-positive-covid-19/3656978001/