- Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn shared a message calling on President Donald Trump to invoke martial law and force the military to hold new elections.
- The announcement was an advertisement by a right-wing activist group demanding that Trump “declare a limited martial law to suspend the Constitution … in order for the military to implement a national re-vote that reflects the true will of the people.”
- Flynn shared the press release for the ad on Twitter, tagged several Trump-backed lawyers and media personalities, and wrote, “Freedom never kneels except God.”
- The president does not have the power to unilaterally annul, delay, postpone or change the date of elections, even if he declares martial law, and the declaration of martial law does not suspend the Constitution.
- The military also has no role in administering elections, and even if they did, they would not be able to “apply national re-election” because the right to vote is not enshrined in the Constitution or federal law.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn shared an ad this week calling on President Donald Trump to “end the constitution”, declare martial law and force the military to hold new elections.
The ad comes from Tom Zawistowski, president of a right-wing Ohio activist group called We the People Convention (WTPC). In the ad, Zawistowski asked Trump to “exercise the extraordinary powers of his office and declare a limited martial law to suspend the Constitution and civilian control over these federal elections so that the military can conduct a national re-election that reflects the true will of the people.” “
Verification of the facts: Zawistowski’s request is not really based. The president has no power to unilaterally cancel, delay, postpone or change the date of elections, even if he declares martial law. As Business Insider previously reported, this power is in Congress.
The declaration of martial law also does not stop the Constitution and the military has no role in administering elections. Even if he did, he would not be able to “apply a national re-vote” because the right to vote is not enshrined in the Constitution or federal law.
The November general election also reflected the “true will of the people.” In addition to gaining 306 votes in Electoral College (the candidate needs 270 to win), President-elect Joe Biden won the national vote with nearly 81 million votes, compared to Trump’s 74 million.
Flynn tweeted the WTPC ad and tagged several lawyers and media outlets backing Trump. “Freedom never kneels except God,” he wrote.
—General Flynn (@GenFlynn) December 1, 2020
The former national security adviser was recently pardoned after pleading guilty to lying to the FBI as part of a bureau investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 US election.
Previously, Flynn was a frequent deputy to Trump in the wake of the 2016 campaign and a title to promote chanting “lock her up,” citing former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who has not been charged with a crime.
Flynn is now one of several people in Trump’s orbit who in recent weeks have reinforced baseless allegations that the 2020 election was “stolen” by Trump, there is widespread voter fraud and the Democratic Party has conspired with “big media To falsify the election in Biden’s Benevolence.
Verification of the facts: There is no evidence to support these allegations, and Trump’s Department of Homeland Security has a website dedicated to dispelling them. In fact, as Business Insider reports, the 2020 election is the safest and most secure in US history, due to the use of paper ballots and voting machines with verifiable paper traces.
The campaign by Trump and Republican officials has filed more than two dozen lawsuits across the country to invalidate election results through vague and ambiguous allegations of electoral abuse. So far, they have not won a single case. And as of this week, the six states on the battlefield that decided the election – Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania – have all certified their results, confirming Biden’s victory.